Duke in the MLB: Stroman helps Blue Jays to much-needed victory

When the Toronto Blue Jays acquired pitcher David Price at the trade deadline, he was expected to carry a struggling pitching rotation into the postseason.

But with the Blue Jays down 2-0 in the ALCS to a Royals’ team hoping to return to the World Series for the second straight season, it was former Blue Devil Marcus Stroman who got the call from Toronto manager John Gibbons.  

Stroman made his third start of the postseason in the Blue Jays 11-8 Game 3 victory. After giving up a run in the first inning, Stroman validated Gibbons’ trust and went six and a third innings, allowing 11 hits and four earned runs and earning his first career playoff victory. The Blue Jays now trail 2-1 in the series, but with Games 4 and 5 also played north of the border, the team still has a chance to emerge victorious in the series. 

Thus far in the postseason, the former Blue Devil has pitched in the games with the highest of stakes—including an elimination game in the first round and a virtual elimination game last night.  But each time, the second-year starter has responded and Stroman now holds a 1-0 record with a 4.19 ERA in his three postseason starts. The former Blue Devil has earned praise from pitchers around the league including Justin Verlander who commented about Stroman's performance Monday night 

Share and discuss “Duke in the MLB: Stroman helps Blue Jays to much-needed victory ” on social media.