Duke in the MLB: Stroman inconsistent in first postseason start

After the Texas Rangers stole Game 1 from the Toronto Blue Jays Friday, former Duke starting pitcher Marcus Stroman took the mound in Game 2 hoping to salvage a split for the home team. After surprisingly overcoming a torn ACL in spring training, Stroman returned for the month of September and went 4-0 with a 1.67 ERA.

But Stroman could not seem to get into a rhythm early in the biggest start of his career. In the first inning, two runs scored on an RBI single by Shin-Soo Choo and a fielding error by catcher Russell Martin. Stroman was able to escape the jam when first baseman Chris Colabello turned an unassisted double play to end the inning. In the second inning, Stroman walked Rougned Odor—who later came around to score on a sacrifice fly. 

Following that point, Stroman was lights out. The former Blue Devil retired the next 14 batters he faced and the Rangers offense struggled to make good contact on the ball. Stroman masterfully painted the corners of the strike zone from the third inning on and forced some Texas players to complain about calls. 

Stroman’s early struggles put the Blue Jays in an early hole that they slowly dug themselves out of behind a big second inning. But with the young pitcher performing well, the final batter he faced eventually helped the Rangers force extra innings. With a 4-3 lead, Stroman gave up a leadoff single to Delino DeShields and Stroman was taken out of the game. DeShields would eventually come around to score, helping the Rangers force extra innings. After a few innings of scoreless action, Texas would go on to push two runs across in the top of the 14th inning and came away with a 6-4 victory. 

This game was vital to the Blue Jays with the team already trailing 0-1 in the series. The loss now puts their backs against a wall as they hit the roads for Game 3 and possibly a Game 4. If Toronto is able to scratch out consecutive victories, Stroman could take the mound once again for a winner-take-all battle in Game 5. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the MLB: Stroman inconsistent in first postseason start ” on social media.