2015 North Carolina football season preview

<p>Senior Quinshad Davis returns as a dependable pass-catcher for the Tar Heel offense.</p>

Senior Quinshad Davis returns as a dependable pass-catcher for the Tar Heel offense.

Despite finishing the regular season on a 4-2 run, four straight losses early on and a disappointing bowl loss against Rutgers left the Tar Heels with a 6-7 record and a lot of unanswered questions heading into 2015.

Although the offense has averaged more than 425 yards per game since head coach Larry Fedora’s arrival in 2012, the defensive efficiency has been lacking. North Carolina surrendered 497.8 yards and 39.0 points per game in 2014, handing the offense a tall order to keep the Tar Heels close. With the hiring of Gene Chizik—a national champion at Auburn—as the new defensive coordinator, the Tar Heels are hoping to rectify the problems from last season. The return of seven starters will provide Chizik some experience to work with, but if the team hopes to reach the postseason for the third straight year, the defense has to make an impact.

North Carolina returns 10 starters to a strong offensive unit. Dual-threat quarterback Marquise Williams is back to lead following a 3,068-yard season that included 35 total touchdowns—21 passing, 13 rushing and one receiving. Williams retains all of his pass blockers as well as four targets at wide receiver with more at least 455 yards receiving—including speedy junior Ryan Switzer and senior Quinshad Davis.

The Blue Devils will make the short trip Nov. 7 to Kenan Memorial Stadium looking to bring the Victory Bell back to Durham for the third time in four seasons.

Share and discuss “2015 North Carolina football season preview” on social media.