Stock Watch: Duke men's soccer and field hockey stay hot

The bell of the Blue Zone stock exchange has just rung again, meaning it's time to take another look at who is rising and falling with their performances for Blue Devil sports teams. Each week The Blue Zone will look at whose stock is on the rise and whose stock has taken a hit from the week in the world of Duke athletics.

Bull Market – Trending Up

Duke Men’s Soccer – With their undefeated record on the line Friday night, the Blue Devils fought No.5 Virginia to a 2-2 tie. Returning sophomore Jeremy Ebobisse scored a late equalizer in the 67th minute at Koskinen Stadium to earn a point for the team against one of the top teams in America. Earlier in the week, coach John Kerr’s team defeated Loyola 5-1 behind a goal and two assists from Ebobisse, while Scottish freshman Ciearan McKenna netted his first goal as a Blue Devil. Overall, the balanced Duke attack saw five different players score a goal. Duke faces another big challenge road challenge against No. 9 Clemson later this week.

Duke Field Hockey – Coming off a disappointing 2-1 loss in their ACC opener at Wake Forest, coach Pam Bustin’s team beat William & Mary 6-2 at Jack Katz Stadium. Junior Heather Morris added an emphatic hat trick to become the team’s leading scorer, while freshman Rose Tynan scored the first two goals of her college career. In first quarters this season, the team has outscored their opponents 6-1, won the shot tally 53-21, and dominated the corner tally 20-8. These strong starts have the Blue Devils trending up as they hit the meat of their schedule.  

Will Monday: Just two games into the season, the Blue Devils punter seems to be in midseason form. In the season opener against Tulane, Monday landed all four of his punts inside the Green Wave’s 20-yard line. Saturday against North Carolina Central, the three-time All-ACC punter sat two more inside the 20-yard line, pinning Duke’s opponent back in their own territory. Although punters don't normally get much of the spotlight, Monday's ability to consistently flip the field for the Blue Devils has been key to the team's strong start. 

Bear Market – Trending Down

Duke football game times: Blue Devil fans will have to get accustomed to waking up early if they hope to see their team in the coming weeks. Duke is scheduled for a 12:30 p.m. start this weekend against No. 23 Northwestern followed by a noon start the following week against No. 14 Georgia Tech. Although the Blue Devils predominantly played afternoon games as one of the cellar-dwellers in the ACC, one would expect Duke's recent success to garner them enough respect to move to more optimal viewing slots for people around the country. 

Share and discuss “Stock Watch: Duke men's soccer and field hockey stay hot” on social media.