Duke football Player of the Week: Week 2

Shaun Wilson

Statline: Rushing: 17 carries for 57 yards; Receiving: three receptions for 102 yards and one touchdown.

The good: Sophomore running back Shaun Wilson took advantage of his opportunity to shine in Duke's first game at the newly-renovated Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium. Wilson effortlessly weaved through the N.C. Central's defense with multiple carries to put quarterback Thomas Sirk in manageable down-and-distance situations throughout the contest. Wilson took his play up a notch at the end of the first half when he followed up wide receiver T.J. Rahming's big catch with a one-yard touchdown run. The run was Wilson’s first touchdown of the season and gave Duke a 24-0 lead against the Eagles. Late in the third quarter, Wilson showed off his remarkable speed and agility once again by catching a short pass from Sirk and taking it 89 yards to the house, leaving N.C. Central's defense in the dust. Wilson's touchdown reception was the third longest in Duke football history. Wilson’s ability to cut on a dime and see the holes in the opposing team’s defense should allow him to consistently run the ball with success throughout the season.

The bad: With his impressive performance against N.C. Central this weekend, Wilson’s future should reflect the confidence he has gained with additional reps. But starting running back Shaquille Powell’s years of experience seems to continue to outshine Wilson’s play. Powell has earned the trust of his team through years of playing time and has performed well consistently to maintain his role as the lead back. Although Wilson continues to show his ability in spurts of action, it remains to be seen whether the Charlotte, N.C., native can develop into a more dependable option than a change-of-pace back. 

The bottom line: Wilson’s incredible runs have proved that he can succeed as both a runner and receiver out of the backfield. The sophomore has displayed incredible vision and has shown the ability to make defenders miss. If Wilson can sustain this level of play throughout the season, his lack of experience may no longer be a factor in his ability to earn play time and contribute for his team.

Honorable Mention: Quarterback Thomas Sirk continued his high level play from the team's season opener against Tulane. Sirk struggled early in the contest to hit open targets downfield, but slowly eased into the game with short and medium-length passes. The Glen St. Mary, Fla., native finished with 89 rushing yards and 315 passing yards and showed his ability to use his versatility to mix up his plays. Sirk’s ability to serve as a duel-threat appears to be a skill that will help the Duke offense separate from its competition throughout the season. 

Share and discuss “Duke football Player of the Week: Week 2” on social media.