Duke football 2015 preview: Defensive ends

With the 2015 season right around the corner, The Chronicle's football beat writers break down each of the 10 major position groups: running backs, quarterbacks, offensive line, receivers/tight ends, defensive ends, defensive tackles, linebackers, defensive backs, kicker/punter and punt/kickoff returners to prepare you for the regular season.

Despite the departure of their top two defensive ends from last year, the Blue Devils have several upperclassmen who are preparing for more significant playing time this season.

Key Players Lost: Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo and Dezmond Johnson

With the graduation of Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo and Dezmond Johnson, Duke has lost two veteran and reliable starting defensive ends. DeWalt-Ondijo—an undrafted free agent currently with the Philadelphia Eagles—saw action in 45 games for his career, racking up 90 tackles. In 2014, he led all Blue Devil defensive linemen with 45 tackles, 7.5 of which were for loss.

Like DeWalt-Ondijo, Johnson is continuing his career as an undrafted free agent and is currently in training camp with the Tennessee Titans. He saw action in 48 games in his career and finished last season with 5.5 tackles for loss. The Nashville, Tenn., native's most notable performance last year came in Duke's loss against Virginia Tech, when he registered six tackles along with 1.5 sacks.

Cutcliffe on the Defensive Ends:

“Our defensive front, Britton Grier, Kyler Brown outside… all those guys can run. If you were able to see sprints, you would be shocked. Now, do I realize we’re not the biggest? Yeah, I get that, you’ve got to hold up against all opponents and we play some really physical football teams this year, Tulane being the first one—big, physical teams.”
"We have Kyler Brown in that hybrid role with some other really good athletes. Kyler right now, he likes where he feels physically -- he’s fast, he gives you flexibility in fronts, he can be in multiple, and as we have grown this system defensively under Jim Knowles and the defensive staff we have grown a little more each year systematically and flexible."

Projected Starters:

Redshirt seniors Kyler Brown and Britton Grier are Duke’s top returning defensive ends, though both of them came to Durham as linebackers. Although they served as key reserves last season, they will have to increase their production this season in order to fill the void left by DeWalt-Ondijo and Johnson.

Senior Deion Williams—also a converted linebacker—and redshirt junior Allen Jackson will complement Brown and Grier. The backup ends can help the Blue Devils with their different skill sets—like Brown and Grier, Williams can use his speed to pursue opposing ball carriers. At 6-foot-5 and 260 pounds, Jackson is a rangy player who can seal up holes and also get after the quarterback.

In an effort to further take advantage of the speed of Brown, Grier and Williams, Collins and defensive coordinator Jim Knowles expect to occasionally line up the defensive ends upright rather than in a three-point stance. The new package—which Duke’s coaches installed during the spring—will provide the defensive ends with greater opportunities to speed-rush around opposing offensive tackles and drop back in pass coverage.

Dark Horse:

Although Brown, Grier, Williams and Jackson are expected to see most of the snaps, true freshman Marquies Price may also warrant considerable playing time. At 6-foot-6 and 240 pounds, the Fort Valley, Ga., native is big enough to contribute at defensive end this season and got a leg up by graduating from high school early and enrolling at Duke in the spring, making him eligible to participate in the Blue Devils' spring practices.

Be sure to stay with the Blue Zone for our continuing 2015 position preview series. Check in tomorrow to read how the rest of Duke’s defensive line will look as we preview the defensive tackle position.

Share and discuss “Duke football 2015 preview: Defensive ends” on social media.