Duke football 2015 position preview: Running backs

With the 2015 season right around the corner, The Chronicle's football beat writers break down each of the 10 major position groups: running backs, quarterbacks, offensive line, receivers, defensive ends, defensive tackles, linebackers, defensive backs, kicker/punter and punt/kickoff returners to prepare you for the regular season.

Duke's offense has averaged 178 and 181 yards per game on the ground in 2013 and 2014 respectively—a key factor in the program's rise from ACC doormat to a Coastal division contender. Not only did the healthy ground game allow the Blue Devils to control the tempo of games, but it also opened up passing lanes for quarterback Anthony Boone, making Duke a scary two-dimensional team.

This season the spotlight is shining brightly on the Blue Devils backfield. With a new face under center in redshirt junior Thomas Sirk and a handful of unproven wide receivers, it will be more important than ever for running backs Shaquille Powell, Shaun Wilson, Jela Duncan and Joseph Ajeigbe to generate offense on the ground.

Key Players Lost: Josh Snead

Despite returning a trio of players who have big-play ability, Duke will miss the experience and speed of former fifth-year senior Josh Snead in the backfield. The Smithfield, N.C., native rushed for 1,769 yards and seven touchdowns in 50 career games between 2010 and 2014 and was one of the players that helped turn around the Blue Devil program. Snead was arguably the quickest back on the team last season but saw his playing time decrease toward the end of the year.

Generic Script

Look for Wilson—who averaged more than seven yards a carry as a true freshman and set the single-game rushing record with 245 yards and three touchdowns against Kansas—to replace Snead and become the primary speed back this season.

Cutcliffe on the Running Backs

"We are a team that likes to run the ball. We think we’re best when we can run the football like we did a year ago and the year before. Ask any lineman what they’d rather do, pass protect or run block—they’d all rather run-block."
"There’s certainly competition there at running back, because [running backs coach Re'quan] Boyette’s done such a great job with them, they consider themselves one—it’s one player, so I don’t think of it [as being a competition].
"Those guys, we don’t have an overly high number, just the four guys, but they’re versatile. [Wilson's] probably the most versatile. We are looking at some ways to use two of them at a time, or maybe use him in a different manner."

Projected Starters

Although Powell is listed as the starting running back on the roster, both Duncan—who returns to the backfield after a year-long academic suspension—and Wilson will see significant playing time. All of the running backs in this year's rotation complement each other well and the Blue Devils are the only team in the ACC to return three running backs with more than 500 career rushing yards.

Generic Script

Although Wilson is known for his great speed and knack for long touchdown runs, he is also a solid pass-catcher who can be used as a receiving threat in the slot or out of the backfield.

Duncan is the team's strongest and most powerful running back and can be used as a short-yardage back while still possessing the speed to break big runs against opposing defenses.

Powell embodies the talents of both backs and can be used all over the field, as demonstrated by his career-high 117 yards on 29 carries in the Sun Bowl against Arizona State. He also caught three passes for 52 yards and a touchdown in the 36-31 loss. The senior joins suspended Florida State running back Dalvin Cook as the only two returning ACC ball-carriers to rush for more than 600 yards and have more than 150 receiving yards last season.

With the return of Duncan, expectations are high this season for Duke's backfield trio, which could be among the best in the conference.

Dark Horse: Joseph Ajeigbe

Ajeigbe may not have the flashy statistics of Duncan, Wilson or Powell, but he has proven that he can play a pivotal role in the offense when his name is called. Last season in the 31-25 win against then-No. 22 Georgia Tech, he helped fill in for an injured Powell, rushing for 53 yards on just eight carries. His numbers might have been better if not for a holding penalty that negated a huge run in the third quarter.

Ajeigbe also managed to score his first career touchdown in the unlikeliest of ways last season in a blowout win against Tulane—a pick-six while on the punt coverage team.

Youtube Player

Look for Ajeigbe to use his versatility to make an impact whenever his number is called.

Be sure to stay with the Blue Zone for our continuing 2015 position preview series. Check in tomorrow to read how the Blue Devils will look to replace Anthony Boone under center as we preview the quarterback position.

Share and discuss “Duke football 2015 position preview: Running backs ” on social media.