Duke football 2015 position preview: Quarterbacks

With the 2015 season right around the corner, The Chronicle's football beat writers break down each of the 10 major position groups: running backs, quarterbacks, offensive line, receivers, defensive ends, defensive tackles, linebackers, defensive backs, kicker/punter and punt/kickoff returners to prepare you for the regular season.

Since the moment Anthony Boone ended his college career with a late fourth quarter interception in last year's Sun Bowl loss, the pressure has been on Thomas Sirk to take the helm and spark an offense that went through some tough times toward the end of last season. Sirk was named the undisputed starter heading into spring practice and the redshirt junior has received nothing but rave reviews from coaches and teammates since. But it remains to be seen whether Sirk quarterback—with only 14 career passing attempts to his name—can ease into his starting role and lead the team to its third straight winning season.

Key Players Lost: Anthony Boone

Although Boone's battles with accuracy were well-noted during his two years as a starter in Durham, he was the undisputed leader of the offense and had a knack for winning. The Weddington, N.C., native finished with a 19-6 record—the most victories as a quarterback in program history—and was one of the key members in a group of fifth-year seniors who drove Duke's remarkable turnaround between 2011 and 2014. Boone threw for more than 5,000 yards and accounted for more than 50 total touchdowns in his career, a tall order for Sirk to come in and replace right away. But Boone finished his career with just a 58.5 percent completion rate and threw 24 interceptions, including three in bowl games.

Cutcliffe and teammates on the Quarterbacks

"We are a chameleon: we’re able to adjust what we utilize from the weapons that we have. When you’re fortunate enough in the transition, when you have a quarterback who’s a fourth-year guy in the system, you’re not trending because of the quarterback, and that’s always an advantage in transition." — David Cutcliffe
"Sirk is an incredible quarterback. A lot of people don’t see that. I have been here as long as he has and I’ve heard a lot of people asking about him, ‘is he experienced enough? Is he ready to go?’ He’s definitely [ready], coming under guys like Anthony Boone and Sean Renfree. He’s ready to come out" — senior wide receiver Max McCaffrey
"The most obvious thing is Sirk’s speed. You can’t let him get outside of the pocket or you might miss him. I know that Sirk is a little more patient. His first thing is to run the ball, so he is more patient. He goes a little bit slower in the passing" — sophomore linebacker Zavier Carmichael

Projected Starter

With 14 career passes for a total of 67 yards thus far in his career, Sirk will be under center for Duke's opener at Tulane on Sept. 3. Although the Glen Saint Mary, Fla., native wasn't considered a pocket passer until this season, players and coaches have said that he can make all of throws and decisions in order to succeed. Sirk is also probably the fastest quarterback head coach David Cutcliffe has had at his disposal, which should lead to a lot of designed runs and read-option formations. Although Sirk has alleviated the concerns about the quarterback position this summer, it's impossible to know what we will see from him until he takes the field against the Green Wave.

Dark Horse

It is unlikely that Parker Boehme will leapfrog Sirk into the starting lineup anytime this season, but the redshirt sophomore can make plays with his legs and could see playing time this season as a short-yardage or wildcat quarterback. Duke has utilized its backup quarterbacks in short-yardage situations heavily during the past four years and there is no indication that this year is any different. Boehme made good use of his limited playing time last season with 14 yards on three carries in the last season's opener against Elon. Once again, we have not really seen Boehme play the wildcat quarterback position in extended action, so the jury is still out on exactly what his role will be this season.

Be sure to stay with the Blue Zone for our continuing 2015 position preview series. Take a look at how the Blue Devils running attack will drive their offense or check in tomorrow to read how Duke will look to replace the losses of Jamison Crowder and Issac Blakeney at wide receiver, and how the Blue Devils will weave the return of Braxton Deaver at tight end into the offense.

Share and discuss “Duke football 2015 position preview: Quarterbacks” on social media.