Duke football 2015 position preview: Kickers/punters

With the 2015 season right around the corner, The Chronicle's football beat writers break down each of the 10 major position groups: running backs, quarterbacks, offensive line, receivers/tight ends,defensive ends, defensive tackles, linebackers, defensive backs, kicker/punter and punt/kickoff returners to prepare you for the regular season.

If you ask most fans about the most important position on the football field, few would respond by naming a player on special teams—much less a kicker or punter. But in case you forgot, the kicking game can have a big impact on the result of a game, as Duke learned last season at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh.

It certainly may not be the most glamorous job in the game, but with five games being decided by a touchdown or less in 2014—including a 17-16 heartbreaker at home against Virginia Tech where two missed field goals proved costly for Duke—having a reliable kicking unit on the field is key in close games. With the Blue Devils returning starters at kicker, punter and long snapper to lead the special teams squad, look for Duke to have just that this season.

Key Players Lost: Jack Willoughby

Kickoff specialist Jack Willoughby is the only loss for Duke in the kicking game this season. Although the team retains the rest of its starters, the absence of Willoughby—who will suit up for defending national champion Ohio State in 2015—will require either senior Ross Martin to take the reigns on kickoffs or allow walk-on reserves Danny Stirt and Will Kline to tee the ball up throughout the fall. Since Martin has experience sending the ball downfield—after booting six kickoffs for an average of 61.3 yards and one touchback last season—expect to see him take on the role full-time as long as he remains healthy.

Projected Starters:

Blue Devil head coach David Cutcliffe is quick to dismiss the complacency of sustaining as opposed to continually building. But in the kicking game, it may be hard to build on the success of an already well-decorated group of players. There are no surprises or dark horses here—Martin, redshirt senior Will Monday and redshirt junior Thomas Hennessy will return at kicker, punter and long snapper, respectively.

Martin—a two-time All-American and three-time All-ACC selection—returns as a preseason Lou Groza candidate to finish his illustrious career in Durham. Heading into the season opener Sept. 3, the Solon, Ohio, native is the career leader for Duke in points scored with 310 and is the second-ranked active NCAA player in career field goals made with 52. After converting 19-of-21 kicks last season, Martin raised his career field goal percentage to 82.5 percent and his ability to convert from between the hashes has been pivotal to the Blue Devils' success. During the last three seasons, he has knocked in two or more field goals in 18 games and has only missed one point after touchdown in his collegiate career. As long as he continues the success from his already impressive run in blue and white, Martin is poised to finish his senior season as one of the best Blue Devils to ever lace up his cleats and send the ball sailing through the uprights.

Monday returns at punter as an All-American, three-time All-ACC Selection and is on the watch list for the Ray Guy award once again. The Flowery Branch, Ga., native has consistently proven himself as one of the best punters in the ACC and enters his final campaign as the No. 10 punter on the ACC career punting average chart with 43.45 yards per punt. Although Monday has not been able to his ACC-leading average from 2012 the past two seasons, he is widely considered to be one of the top players at his position in the nation. As the Blue Devils head into the season, he possesses the ninth longest punting average among active NCAA players, and will look to improve on that clip as the season progresses. In addition to his role as the punter, Monday will also resume his duties as the placeholder for the kicking unit this fall.

Hennessey tops the depth chart for the third consecutive year at long snapper for Duke. In the past two seasons, Hennessey has helped the Blue Devils convert 32-of-40 field goal attempts, as well as all 108 points after touchdown and Duke is only one of three teams in the ACC without a missed extra point during that timeframe.

Be sure to stay with the Blue Zone for continuing coverage of Duke football leading up to the team's Sept. 3 opener against Tulane. Our position previews conclude tomorrow with a look at how the Blue Devils will fare in the return game.

Share and discuss “Duke football 2015 position preview: Kickers/punters” on social media.