Maryland football coach draws criticism after tweeting Krzyzewski quote

For most individuals, spreading the wisdom of a 1,018-game winner and five-time national championship winning head coach makes a lot of sense.

But for Maryland football coach Randy Edsall, it has become something of a nightmare.

The Terrapin head coach drew the ire of Maryland fans after tweeting a quote from Duke men's basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski Sunday.

Twitter Tweet

Although Edsall has made a habit of tweeting motivational quotes—with lines from president Abraham Lincoln, San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich and author Henry David Thoreau covering his page, among others—his decision to choose Krzyzewski's statement quickly backfired. As always, Twitter provided its share of laughs as fans chided Edsall for his comment.

Twitter Tweet

Twitter Tweet

Much of the animosity toward Edsall's post stems from the contentious relationship between the Blue Devil and Terrapin fan bases during Maryland's tenure in the ACC. The men's basketball teams last met Feb. 15, 2014—a 69-67 Duke win at Cameron Indoor Stadium—after which the Terrapins departed for the Big Ten. Duke leads the all-time series against Maryland on the hardwood, 114-63.

The hard feelings between Terrapin and Blue Devil fans don't figure to go away any time soon. Both squads are projected to be highly-ranked heading into the season—Maryland and head coach Mark Turgeon have a talented squad that includes former Duke guard Rasheed Sulaimon and will play at North Carolina in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in December.

Share and discuss “Maryland football coach draws criticism after tweeting Krzyzewski quote” on social media.