Football Recruiting Roundup: Kraeling reaffirms commitment as Blue Devils eye top remaining targets

The Blue Devils are on track to sign a 2016 recruiting class that could be the best in program history. This week, we take a look some of the top remaining targets for Duke and other recent developments.

Breaking down the top three remaining targets in the 2016 class

1. CB Obi Eboh, Southlake,Texas

Eboh has emerged as one of the Blue Devils' priorities this summer—especially after his impressive performance at The Opening camp last week where the defensive back showed no issues covering some of the best receivers in high school football. The four-star recruit is rated as the 23rd-best safety according to ESPN and is charted as the 402nd-best player in the nation according to 247Sports. At 6-foot-2 and 184 pounds, the Southlake, Texas, native also has all of the measurables to play the strike safety position at the next level. Eboh currently has in-state offers from Baylor and Texas A&M, but expect the Blue Devil coaching staff to make a late push in an effort to steer Eboh to Durham.

2. S Eric Burrell, Owings Mills, Maryland

Burrell is a four-star recruit per ESPN who has already made two visits to campus in 2015. He placed Duke in his top nine schools back on June 24 and will likely work to narrow that list as the summer continues. Unlike Eboh, Burrell has a smaller build—at just six feet tall—and resembles current Blue Devil DeVon Edwards. The high school senior's size and play-making ability make him a perfect candidate to play the rover safety in Duke's 4-2-5 defense. Although the Blue Devils are the favorite to land the talented prospect's verbal commitment, conference foes Syracuse, Virginia and Boston College also have his attention.

3. WR Phillip Patterson, Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Patterson's timeline is moving along quickly after he announced his top six schools two weeks ago. The wide receiver recently set his decision date for August 1 with Duke, Virginia Tech, Penn State Wake Forest, North Carolina and hometown Old Dominion all in the mix.

Twitter Tweet

With no true wide receivers currently committed in the Blue Devil's 16-member class, Patterson's commitment would be a huge boost for coach David Cutcliffe and his staff.

Robert Kraeling downplays latest SEC offer, reaffirms verbal commitment to Duke

The 2016 recruiting classes' most talented offensive lineman turned a few heads when posted on Twitter on June 29 that he was "honored" to receive an offer from in-state powerhouse Georgia.

Twitter Tweet

But the Bogart, Ga., native spurned any rumors that he might be flipping his commitment with a tweet affirming his commitment to the Blue Devils that same day.

Twitter Tweet

Kraeling—who committed to the Blue Devils months back in April—is a four-star recruit according to ESPN and is one of Duke's three 2016 commitments currently ranked in the ESPN 300, along with tight end Mark Birmingham and running back Brittain Brown. The offensive lineman had offers from major programs such as Alabama and Auburn in addition to the Bulldogs, but chose to become yet another highly-touted prospect interested in becoming part of the football revival in Durham.

Will Dylan Singleton, team up with brother Deondre in Durham?

Dylan Singleton—a four-star safety and the 278th-ranked prospect in the ESPN 300— has been on the Blue Devils' radar all summer. Although the Lawrenceville, Ga., native is thought to be a lock to commit to Georgia later in the recruiting cycle, many are wondering whether Singleton will see Duke as a future home alongside his brother Deondre, who is a returning starter in the secondary.

Singleton posted a graphic of him and his brother in Blue Devil uniforms with a cheetah—which has become the mascot of the Duke secondary—in the background. Could this be a hint that Singleton is seriously considering committing to the Blue Devils?

Twitter Tweet

Stay tuned to the Blue Zone all summer and follow us on Twitter at @chroniclesports as we follow Duke on the recruiting trail this summer.

Share and discuss “Football Recruiting Roundup: Kraeling reaffirms commitment as Blue Devils eye top remaining targets” on social media.