Duke in the Summer League: Week 2

Two days into the NBA’s Las Vegas summer league, several Duke standouts are either preparing for the beginning of the 2015-16 NBA season or trying to secure a spot on an NBA roster.

Justise Winslow, Miami Heat: Since his debut, in which he shot four-of-eight from the field, Winslow has struggled shooting the ball. In the Houston native's past three games, he has shot a combined 8-of-27 from the floor including 0-of-5 from beyond the arc. But despite Winslow's struggles from the floor, he still averaged 11.5 points per game in the Orlando Summer League and continued to play aggressive by drawing fouls and converting at the line.

After sitting out the Heat’s last two games to rest, Winslow will next take the court Monday July 13 against the Denver Nuggets.

Jahlill Okafor, Philadelphia Sixers: Through his first four summer league games, Okafor has showcased his polished post moves and ability to rebound the basketball. In his summer league debut against the San Antonio Spurs, the 6-foot-11 center impressed with 18 points and 10 rebounds.

Youtube Player

Okafor was also able to exact a little revenge in his most recent performance against the Los Angeles Lakers when he blocked second-overall pick D'Angelo Russell. Okafor finished the contest with 19 points and 11 rebounds—his second double-double in summer league action.

Youtube Player

But, the third overall pick has had some struggles during his first taste of the NBA. Okafor has averaged 4.8 turnovers per game and has converted only 44.6 percent of his free throws.

Okafor’s next game will come against the New York Knicks Tuesday July 14.

Tyus Jones, Minnesota Timberwolves: After a disappointing debut with zero points and zero assists, Jones bounced back in his second game at the Las Vegas Summer League. The No. 24 pick in this year's draft filled up the stat sheet with 14 points, three assists, two steals and two rebounds in a 84-71 loss to the Chicago Bulls.

Jones’ will look to build on his impressive performance Monday July 13 against the Utah Jazz.

Quinn Cook, Oklahoma City Thunder/Cleveland Cavaliers: After scoring only six points in his first two games combined, Cook has averaged 12.3 points in his last four contests. The undrafted rookie—who signed to play with the Oklahoma City Thunder in the Orlando summer league—contributed a combined 37 points, 14 assists, and eight rebounds in his final two games with the team.

Cook will now play for the Cleveland Cavaliers in the Las Vegas Summer League and look to continue his strong play when he faces the Milwaukee Bucks Monday July 13.

Rodney Hood, Utah Jazz: After a left foot injury caused him to miss much of his rookie season, Hood is participating in the summer league for the second straight year. Two games in, the 23rd overall pick of the 2014 NBA draft and former Western Conference Rookie of the Month has shined. Hood is averaging 20.5 points and 7.5 rebounds per game and has shot 54.8 percent from the field.

With Hood having proven his ability to dominate in the summer league, he is expected to sit out the Jazz’s next matchup against the Timberwolves.

Seth Curry, New Orleans Pelicans: Hood is not the only former Duke standout who has been a go-to scorer in the summer league. Two games into his summer league campaign, Curry is second in points per game at the Las Vegas Summer League and has shown flashes of play similar to his older brother—2015 NBA MVP Stephen Curry. The 2014 NBA Developmental League All-Star scored 30 points on 9-of-17 shooting in am impressive performance against the Milwaukee Bucks.

Youtube Player

Curry then poured in 25 points along with seven rebounds and five steals in a 90-86 victory against the Dallas Mavericks.

Curry will look to continue his hot play and secure a spot on the Pelicans' roster Monday July 13 against the Brooklyn Nets.

Andre Dawkins, Portland Trail Blazers: After spending the majority of his rookie season in the NBA Developmental League, Dawkins is another former Blue Devil hoping to impress teams with his summer league play. Through his first two games, the 6-foot-4 sharpshooter has scored a combined 15 points in 20 minutes of action.

Dawkins will look to make the most of his opportunities when the Trail Blazers next face the San Antonio Spurs Monday July 13.

Share and discuss “Duke in the Summer League: Week 2” on social media.