Duke in the Summer League: Week 1

With the NBA draft in the books, rookies are now beginning to make their professional debuts in the NBA’s various summer leagues. Two former Duke stars have already made an impact in the Orlando summer league.

Justise Winslow, Miami Heat: Just two games into his professional career, Winslow has already showcased his versatility and ability to impact the game in a variety of ways. In his first game Saturday against the Indiana Pacers, Winslow contributed 15 points on 4-of-8 shooting in 27 minutes. The Houston native then added 14 points and snagged five rebounds in 31 minutes of action against the Brooklyn Nets Sunday. In the early going, Winslow has shown the ability to facilitate the Heat's offense by attacking the basket—recording nine assists and 20 free throw attempts in his first two games—and defend multiple positions on the court.

The jump to the professional level has not come without learning experiences for the former Blue Devil. Winslow shot just 3-of-10 from the field Sunday—including 0-of-5 from beyond the arc—and was beat on what appeared to be the winning basket for the Nets with four-tenths of a second to play.

But the former Duke standout responded with the game on the line when he delivered a perfect lob-pass to guard Tyler Johnson for a buzzer-beating layup.

Youtube Player

Winslow and the Heat will next face off against the Detroit Pistons Monday July 6.

Quinn Cook, Oklahoma City Thunder: As an undrafted rookie, Cook needs to make the most of his limited playing time in order to have a shot at an NBA roster spot. The six-foot-two guard did just that in eleven minutes of play against the Charlotte Hornets. Despite shooting just 1-of-3 from the floor and committing two turnovers, Cook buried a long three-point jumper at the buzzer to end the first quarter. The former Blue Devil also snagged two rebounds and assisted on three Thunder field goals in his 11 minutes of action.

Youtube Player

Cook’s next action will come Monday July 6 against the Orlando Magic.

Share and discuss “Duke in the Summer League: Week 1” on social media.