Duke football heading into fall camp with high expectations

As has been the case in recent years, the Blue Devils are beginning the season with a chip on their shoulder—and they would not want it any other way.

After graduating the team’s top offensive threats in Jamison Crowder and Anthony Boone and losing defensive leader Kelby Brown to a season-ending ACL tear, Duke begins summer camp next Wednesday looking for new faces to fill the voids. The Blue Devils boast experienced running backs and will have another weapon under center in new starting quarterback—and previous short-yardage specialist—Thomas Sirk.

That was not enough to sway the minds of the voters at last week's ACC Kickoff event in Pinehurst, N.C., where Duke was pegged to finish fourth in the Coastal Division behind Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Miami. But that has not dented the Blue Devils' own expectations.

“We all have high expectations for this season,” Sirk said. “Ultimately our goal is to win the Coastal side, win the ACC championship and win our bowl game. We’re not going to be content with where we are at—ever. We are going to continue to press forward and try to win championships.”

For redshirt freshman Chris Taylor, summer camp offers the opportunity to step into a role his team desperately needs filled to achieve those goals. The 6-foot-1 wide receiver is a prime candidate to pick up a sizable chunk of the receptions vacated in Crowder’s exit.

After watching from the sidelines last season during his redshirt year, Taylor could be poised to become one of the ACC’s breakout performers in 2015. Although he is in contention to fill the shoes of Crowder, the Miramar, Fla., native is trying to build a name for himself at the same time Duke is looking to solidify its own. The 2015 college football season will have a lot to say about whether Duke has cemented itself as a perennial challenger for the ACC title or just another program in the tightly bunched Coastal.

“I always play this game with a chip on my shoulder,” Taylor said. “We lost two amazing players and it’s only normal to see who is coming up next. I like to think that as one person steps out it leaves room for another person to step up.... I’m trying to start my own legacy.”

Share and discuss “Duke football heading into fall camp with high expectations” on social media.