Cash, Skura named to Preseason All-ACC team by media

With fall camp just over a week away, two of Duke football's most accomplished seniors were recognized by the media.

Both safety Jeremy Cash and center Matt Skura received the most votes amongst the 163 media members at their respective positions and were named to the Preseason All-ACC Team. The Blue Devils were one of only four teams to have both an offensive and defensive member named to the team.

Cash, who has been one of the most dynamic players in the Blue Devil secondary during the last two seasons, receives his second straight Preseason All-ACC selection. His selection to the team comes as no surprise as he received All-America honors in 2013 and 2014. The Miami native stuffed the stat sheet last season, with 111 tackles, 5.5 sacks, four forced fumbles and a pair of interceptions.

Cash is on the watch list for the Bednarik Award—awarded annually to the top player in college football—and the Jim Thorpe Award—given to the top defensive back. He also has been tabbed as one of the top safeties in the 2016 draft class and some experts believe a stellar season could boost his draft stock enough to make him a first round, or even a top 10 pick.

Cash's return in 2015 bolsters one of the most talented secondaries in program history. Fellow defensive backs DeVon Edwards, Deondre Singleton, Byron Fields and Breon Borders also received a handful of votes, affirming the Blue Devils' secondary as one of the best in the ACC, if not the nation.

Skura was an overwhelming favorite amongst the voting members, garnering a whopping 111 votes, with Clemson center Ryan Norton coming in a distant second-place with 18 votes. The Columbus, Ohio, native has been pegged as one of the top offensive linemen in the ACC by most preseason publications—including Phil Steele and Athlon Sports.

In 2014, he was part of an offensive line that led the nation in fewest total tackles for loss and allowed only one sack per 36.23 passing attempts. Skura and offensive guard Lucas Patrick—who received 20 votes from the media members— are the returning starters along the offensive line this season, with former All-ACC linemen Laken Tomlinson and Takoby Cofield graduated and off to the NFL.

A flurry of other Blue Devils received votes in the All-ACC tabulation as well, including punter Will Monday, kicker Ross Martin and kick returner DeVon Edwards—who each finished second in voting at their positions. Sixth-year tight end Braxton Deaver also finished second in voting behind Virginia Tech tight end Bucky Hodges. Running back Shaq Powell, wide receiver Max McCaffrey, offensive lineman Casey Blaser and defensive tackle Carlos Wray also received votes at their respective positions.

Clemson led all teams with five players on the Preseason All-ACC team, including Preseason Player of the Year, quarterback Deshaun Watson.

Duke is coming off of a 9-4 campaign in 2014 that included a 36-31 loss to No. 15 Arizona State in the Hyundai Sun Bowl. The Blue Devils open the season at Tulane Thursday Sept. 4 at 9:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “Cash, Skura named to Preseason All-ACC team by media ” on social media.