Caltech's Kristen Brown to replace David Jarmul as head of Duke News

Special to The Chronicle

After 14 years of leadership by David Jarmul, Duke's Office of News and Communications will have a new head Sept. 1 when Kristen Brown takes over.

Brown, who is currently assistant vice president for strategic communications and adviser to the provost at the California Institute of Technology, will coordinate the University's media relations and communications efforts as the next associate vice president for news, communications and media. Vice president for public affairs and government relations Michael Schoenfeld announced Brown's selection Tuesday.

“Kristen Brown comes to Duke with deep and wide experience in the most important aspects of communications,” Schoenfeld said in a Duke News release. “She led the public transformation of the communications office at one of the top universities in the world with great creativity and innovation. And perhaps most important, she is a gifted strategist and executive whose passion for Duke’s mission will energize all our efforts."

In overseeing Duke's communications efforts, Brown will look to continue where Jarmul left off in using digital and social media channels. The pioneer of Duke Today, Jarmul retired in June, and a nationwide search began for his replacement at approximately the same time.

Brown held senior positions in marketing at multiple global organizations, including Warner Bros. Entertainment and Nestle USA, before joining Caltech's communications team in 2010. During her time at the Institute, she was in charge of all major aspects of its communications—media relations, digital and print publications, social media, crisis and issues management, research communications and brand and identity—and installed its first comprehensive marketing and communications team.

“I am excited to join the talented team in the Office of News and Communications, whose work has increased awareness of the achievements of Duke’s scholars, students and alumni,” Brown said in the release. “Duke has a commitment to creating knowledge in service of society and I look forward to partnering with the network of communicators across the university who tell Duke’s story to the world.”

Share and discuss “Caltech's Kristen Brown to replace David Jarmul as head of Duke News” on social media.