Redshirt sophomore Rebecca Greenwell, sophomore Azura Stevens invited to USA Basketball Trials

With the graduation of All-American center Elizabeth Williams, the Blue Devils are searching for the new face of Duke women's basketball.

As their play on the court as freshmen has already indicated, rising redshirt sophomore Rebecca Greenwell and rising sophomore Azura Stevens seem prepared to take the lead and usher the Blue Devils into a new era without the dominant Williams.

Greenwell and Stevens added to their impressive list of accomplishments Wednesday when both were invited to United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo., for USA Basketball Trials. Greenwell will audition for a roster spot with Team USA at the 2015 Pan American Games and World University Games, and Stevens will compete in try-outs for the 2015 USA Basketball Women’s U19 World Championship.

Both Greenwell and Stevens played integral roles last season for a Duke squad that advanced to the Sweet 16 despite dealing with a short rotation and inexperience.

Greenwell made an immediate impact for the Blue Devils with her ability to heat up from beyond the arc, averaging 14.0 points along with 5.5 rebounds per game and hitting a Duke freshman record 72 three-pointers. The Owensboro, Ky., native is a three-time medalist with USA Basketball and helped the 2012 U17 World Championship Team and the 2011 U16 National Team to gold medals.

Twitter Tweet

Stevens was also crucial to Duke's success due to her versatility and size. At 6-foot-5, the Raleigh, N.C., native was tough to guard in the post and flashed a mid-range jumper that kept defenders on their heels. Stevens finished the season averaging 14.1 points and 8.2 rebounds per contest and took home All-ACC Freshman team honors.

Twitter Tweet

Both Stevens and Greenwell will train from May 14-17 in hopes of earning roster spots on their respective teams.

Share and discuss “Redshirt sophomore Rebecca Greenwell, sophomore Azura Stevens invited to USA Basketball Trials ” on social media.