Jamison Crowder selected by Washington Redskins in fourth round of NFL draft

If Duke fans had fun watching Jamison Crowder zip past safeties and break the ankles of linebackers for the past four years on Saturdays, they might be in for an even better show on Sundays beginning this fall.

The Washington Redskins selected the former Duke wide receiver with the sixth pick in the fourth round of the NFL draft Saturday afternoon in Chicago. Crowder is the second Blue Devil to be drafted this weekend, after the Detroit Lions drafted offensive guard Laken Tomlinson with the 28th overall pick in Thursday's first round.

“Jamison is another incredible example of a young man who has combined natural abilities with hard work to make his dreams come true,” Duke head coach David Cutcliffe said in a team press release. “Everyone sees his explosiveness and short space quickness, but it is his character that puts him in a very special category. We could not be happier for Jamison and his family to reach the goal of being a draft pick of the National Football League. He is more than deserving.”

Although he was considered undersized coming out of high school, Crowder's nifty moves and punishing speed made him one of Duke's go-to receivers toward the end of his freshman year. During his sophomore year, the highlight of Crowder's first 1,000 yard receiving season came Oct. 20, 2012 when he hauled in a five-yard touchdown pass with 13 seconds to left to beat Tobacco Road rival North Carolina 33-30 and punch the Blue Devils' ticket to their first postseason berth since 1994.

Since 2012, Crowder has been the staple of a Duke program that went from back-to-back 3-9 seasons in 2010 and 2011 to three consecutive bowl appearances during the next three years and an ACC Coastal Division championship in 2013.

The Monroe, N.C., native registered 283 receptions for 3,641 yards and 23 touchdowns in 52 career games at Duke and holds the program record with 10 touchdown receptions of more than 50 yards. In his final collegiate game—a Sun Bowl loss to Arizona State last December—Crowder also tied former Blue Devil wide receiver Conner Vernon's school record with his 283rd career reception.

Crowder was one of the ACC's best wide receivers during the last two seasons, earning first team All-ACC honors in 2013 and 2014. He was also an All-America selection in both years—once as a punt returner, once as an all-purpose player—after posting a pair of punt return touchdowns as a junior and a senior.

Although there is some doubt about Crowder's size matching up against bigger defensive backs at the next level, draft experts compared him to players like the Pittsburgh Steelers' Antonio Brown. Crowder has more potential than a just a quick slot receiver and proved that he can line up nearly anywhere on the field and make an impact during his four years in Durham.

Share and discuss “Jamison Crowder selected by Washington Redskins in fourth round of NFL draft” on social media.