American patriotism: what it “truly” means today

As we approach the Fourth of July—the raised flags, fireworks, hot dogs and joyous parades—I have found myself fascinated with the patriotism people seem to embody for America. I have mused over patriotism and its deeper meaning, frustrated with what it means to be a patriotic American today.

Is it the hot dogs, the bursts of pride we feel upon hearing “God Bless the U.S.A.” or is it something deeper? Does patriotism have to be about the ultimate act of dying for one’s country or can the average civilian be a patriot as well? Was it easier to be patriotic in 1776 than it is today? More importantly, however, what does it mean to be “truly” patriotic?

In his address to the American Legion Convention, Adlai Stevenson II came to the simple yet riveting conclusion that “Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.” Indeed, true patriotism—the lifeblood of the American dream, freedom and security—is deep-rooted devotion to the American flag and the tradition it symbolizes.

During the course of American history, patriots have been admired as symbols of American unity transcending normal partisan division. The lives and dedication of the founding fathers have served as a constant reminder of the sacrifices that have been made to uphold the ideals of liberty, protected largely by the Bill of Rights, that we cherish today. Yet, our patriots today continue to remind us of the incumbent need to nurture and defend those liberties our founding fathers risked their lives for.

Two patriots, Nathan Hale and Cory Remsburg, exemplify true military patriotic fervor and devotion through sacrificing and risking their lives in defense of the United States. Nathan Hale, one of our revolutionary heroes and lieutenants of the Continental Army, volunteered to perform spy duty behind the British lines on Long Island. Disguised as a schoolteacher, he secured vital military information, but on September 21,1776, before he could reach a protected territory, he was captured. His famous last words were, “I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.”

While Hale showed patriotic fervor during the Revolutionary war, Remsburg epitomizes true patriotism in the modern times. In an exemplary testament of devotion to country, Remsburg, an Army Ranger, was nearly killed on his tenth tour of duty to Iraq. An explosion in the fall of 2009, outside of Kandahar, vaulted him 100 feet in the air. He lost an arm, leg and part of his head. Unlike Hale, Remsburg participated in a war that many Americans were detached from. Remsburg’s patriotism was more difficult than Hale’s since Remsburg had the choice to not be involved in the Afghan War. Remsburg’s liberties had not been infringed upon in the intimate way as Hale’s. Remsburg fought a war that many Americans were opposed to. He chose to sacrifice the many opportunities he had to succeed and ultimately his wellbring in his devotion to the United States.

Our patriots pledge their lives and fortunes to protect our liberties reminding us of the sacrifices that Americans have made to attain those liberties we are blessed with today. They embody the soul of the American union, sustain it and ultimately help it thrive. However, it is crucial to realize that, while our military heroes exemplify true patriotism by defending our liberties, we as civilians can be nurturers of liberty and equally critical to the survival of the America we cherish today.

Maryam Ali is a Trinity sophomore. Her column will run bi-weekly in the fall.

Share and discuss “American patriotism: what it “truly” means today” on social media.