Elizabeth Williams first ACC player ever to earn 4 straight All-America honors

Although her Blue Devil career may not have ended the way she liked, Duke senior Elizabeth Williams continued to add to her long list of accomplishments Tuesday.

The Virginia Beach, Va., native garnered AP All-America honors for the fourth straight year—becoming the first player in ACC history to receive the accolade each of her four years. The center stuffed the stat sheet, finishing with 14.5 points, 9.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 3.0 blocks per contest this season en route to a second-team selection.

During her career, Williams was defined by her game-altering presence on defense. The All-American finished ninth all-time with 426 blocks during her illustrious career. Williams was also a dominant force in NCAA Tournament action as her 44 career blocks in the Big Dance ranked fifth all-time.

The center also showed tremendous growth on the offensive side of the ball over the course of her career. After predominantly bullying smaller players in the paint during the early portion of her career, Williams flashed her ability to pass in the low post and even handle the ball in transition this season.

But Williams contribution to this year’s squad was certainly different than in years past. Surrounded by talented—but inexperienced—players such as redshirt freshman Rebecca Greenwell and freshman Azura Stevens, Williams became the vocal leader the team desperately needed.

Despite all that Williams has accomplished, her list of achievements may not be complete just yet. The center remains one of 12 finalists for the Wade Trophy and is listed on the final ballot for the John R. Wooden award. Williams is also expected to be one of the top selections on April 16 at the 2015 WNBA draft.

Share and discuss “Elizabeth Williams first ACC player ever to earn 4 straight All-America honors” on social media.