Duke basketball 2014-15 season review: Marshall Plumlee

Marshall Plumlee

Season Breakdown: With freshman center Jahlil Okafor cemented as the Blue Devils’ primary center, Plumlee became a key role player off the bench. The redshirt junior provided a physical presence in the paint, frequently subbing in for freshman Jahlil Okafor and being tasked with guarding opponents’ primary big men. Despite lacking the athleticism to go toe-to-toe with many of his defensive assignments, Plumlee was able to use his 7-foot, 255 pound frame to slow opponents long enough to give Okafor a chance to catch his breath and get back in the game.

On the offensive end, Plumlee was a potent weapon around the rim. The Warsaw, Ind., native notched 39 offensive rebounds on the year, including two vital offensive boards in Chapel Hill, N.C., against North Carolina. When it came to putting the ball in the basket, Plumlee was a dunk machine. In Duke’s ACC quarterfinal tilt against N.C. State, the redshirt junior center posted six slam-dunks en route to a career-high 12 point scoring performance.

Even when he was not packing the stat sheet, Plumlee made an impact on the court with his energy and aggressive style of play. Whether he was firing up the Blue Devil bench after draining a three-pointer or fueling the Cameron Crazies who love to cheer his name, Plumlee left his mark on this season in ways that extend far beyond the box score.

Results relative to expectations: When Okafor took on Duke’s primary center role, it was clear that Plumlee’s opportunities on the court would be limited. However, Plumlee—one of only two upperclassmen on coach Krzyzewski’s squad—was able to adapt to the system and find a way to contribute. As a result, Plumlee was able to follow in the footsteps of his older brothers by taking the floor in an Indianapolis Final Four.

Off the court, Plumlee defied expectations by taking a step out of his brothers’ shadow to pursue his interest in military service. Jan. 23, Plumlee signed his ROTC contract in Cameron Indoor Stadium to the applause of his teammates and Coach K, a West Point grad himself. Although Plumlee still aspires to play professional basketball in the NBA, he hopes that his commitment to ROTC will allow him to become a reserve officer in the United States Army.

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2014-15 season review: Marshall Plumlee” on social media.