X factor: Duke basketball vs. N.C. State

In the only meeting between these two teams on the year, the Wolfpack shocked a red-hot Duke team at the time, ending the Blue Devils' 14 game win-streak. Although the second match-up of the season for these two historic ACC teams comes 17 games later in the season for Duke, the scenario is unquestionably the same as the first. This time, Duke enters on an 11 game win-streak, but the No. 2 team in the nation looks to fend off the Wolfpack in Greensboro in the ACC tournament quarterfinals en route to their first ACC Championship since 2011. Before every game this season, the Blue Zone will select a player on both teams that could make a difference for their respective squads.

Duke: forward Justise Winslow

In the first meeting against the unranked Wolfpack, the McDonald’s All-American scored 10 points and only grabbed four rebounds in 30 minutes, fouling out late in the second-half loss. Winslow’s absence greatly contributed to the Blue Devil’s woes on the defensive end. Usually allowing just 65.7 points-per-game, Duke gave up 50 points just in the second-half alone. The Houston native wasn’t much better on the other end of the floor that night, shooting a paltry 3-of-13 from the floor and only hitting one-of-six from beyond the arc.

The good news for Blue Devils is that Winslow has kicked it into another gear down the stretch, averaging 16.8 points and 7.8 rebounds in his last five games. The 6-foot-6 forward will have to more efficient than he was last time against a feisty Wolfpack team in order for the tournament's No. 2 seed to avoid the upset. Duke will need Winslow, who is shooting 39.8 percent from three on the season, to have a more typical performance from the perimeter and attack the basket as aggressively as he has late in the year with N.C. State expected to consistently double-team Jahlil Okafor down low.

On the defensive end, Winslow will need to play big against the Wolfpack's rotation of big men and if necessary, use his versatility to help guard one of three dangerous N.C. State guards at times. A big game from the ACC All-Freshman Team perfromer would go a long way in helping the Blue Devils avenge their loss given his ability to do damage all over the court on both ends.

NC State: guard Anthony “Cat” Barber

The sophomore guard has increased his workload for the Wolpack this year, already playing 100 more minutes than he did all last year. Barber has been a bright-spot for N.C. State, which improved it’s conference record from 9-9 to 10-8 this year, and has been instrumental for the unranked team capturing the seventh seed in one of college basketball’s toughest conferences. In the 87-75 win against Duke, the Newport News, Va., native scored only four points but doled out four assists.

Although the Wolfpack were able to win against Duke without a decent performance from the guard, the same will likely not be said this time around. Barber was in a slump during that stretch of the season, but, like Winslow, has been a force to reckon with recently. In his last 10 games, Barber is averaging 17.6 points, which includes a career-high, 34-point performance in the second round of the ACC tournament against Pittsburgh. The guard, who is shooting 42.9 percent from downtown, looks to remain efficient on the year and knock down more shots from long range to gun down the second-seeded Blue Devils.

But even if Barber does not have a big game scoring, his ability to create for his teammates with penetration could also hurt a Duke defense that at times struggles to defend quick guards in space. If Barber can find a way to get fellow guards Trevor Lacey and Ralston Turner more open looks and keep his big men engaged, N.C. State is capable of playing with almost anyone in the country, including the Blue Devils.

Share and discuss “X factor: Duke basketball vs. N.C. State” on social media.