BOT Executive Committee meets for financial business, board appointments

The Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees held a fairly routine meeting last Friday—making minor revisions to bylaws and reappointing members of various University boards.

The committee approved several items related to the University's finances. Neil Triplett, president and CEO of DUMAC—the professionally-staffed investment group which controls the University's endowment—gave a report on the status of the endowment, and the committee approved revisions to DUMAC and two of its support corporations, the Gothic Corporation and the Duke University Special Ventures Fund.

The CEO of DUMAC gives a report to the executive committee once each year, said University Secretary Richard Riddell.

The committee made a series of "very routine" reappointments to the boards of DUMAC, the Gothic Corporation and the Duke University Special Ventures Fund, Riddell noted.

The committee also passed a resolution granting authority to select financial officers to sign documents on behalf of the University. The resolution is routinely updated every other year, Riddell explained—allowing employees who regularly sign documents, such as federal grants, to do so without needing approval from the President or provost each time.

The committee received an update from the interim leadership of Duke University Health System—Dr. Nancy Andrews, dean of the school of medicine and vice chancellor of academic affairs, and Dr. William Fulkerson, executive vice president of DUHS—and approved slight revisions to the DUHS bylaws.

Finally, the committee also received an update from President Richard Brodhead and Provost Sally Kornbluth on Duke Kunshan University.

"There was a good discussion about how that's going," Riddell said.

Share and discuss “BOT Executive Committee meets for financial business, board appointments” on social media.