2015 NCAA tournament preview: Utah Utes

Utah Utes

Record: 24-8, 13-5 Pac-12

Head Coach: Larry Krystkowiak (4th season)

Season Summary: The Utes had a very solid regular season, finishing tied for second in the Pac-12 conference. Utah has one of the best players in the country in senior Delon Wright. The guard is a Wooden Award finalist and averages 14.9 points and 5.3 assists per game. He’s more than just their leader—Wright is the Utah offense. According to basketball reference, the Utes used him 22.6 percent of the time while he’s on the court, which is one of the highest rates in the nation.

Led by the senior, Utah has become the 18th-best offensive team in the nation, according to basketball statistician Ken Pomeroy. However, the No. 5 seed in the tournament also dominates on the defensive end. Utah allows the 11th fewest points per game in the nation at just 56.9. Freshman forward Jakob Poeltl has played a significant role in shoring up the defense. The 7-footer averages 6.9 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game.

How they make a run: The Utes were under-seeded by the committee and look to blend their terrific offense and defense. But his team ultimately goes as far as Delon Wright can take them.

How they falter: Utah faces an athletic team that can afford to play Wright without double-teaming him and has enough talented defenders to wear him out.

Share and discuss “2015 NCAA tournament preview: Utah Utes” on social media.