X factor: Duke basketball vs. Syracuse

After playing two instant classics a year ago, the fourth-ranked Blue Devils (21-3, 8-3 in the ACC) and Syracuse (16-8, 7-4) look to continue their budding ACC rivalry Saturday at 6 p.m. at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y. The matchup pits two of the greatest coaches in the history of the game against each other in Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski and Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim. The Blue Devils have yet to win a conference game in the Carrier Dome and will look to avenge last year’s 91-89 overtime defeat. Before each game this season, the Blue Zone will select a player on both teams that could make the difference for their respective squads:

Duke: guard Tyus Jones

Many will focus on the battle down low between Jahlil Okafor and Rakeem Christmas, but guard play could determine which star big man ends up having the better game. The Blue Devils' point guard appears to have turned the corner and Duke has played some of its basketball lately as a result. The Apple Valley, Minn., native has scored in double figures in seven of his team's last eight games; the Blue Devils are 7-1 in the stretch after dropping two consecutive games to N.C. State and Miami early in ACC play. Jones has racked up 28 points and 19 assists against just one turnover in 73 minutes his past two games and will likely need to continue attacking off the bounce and in transition against Syracuse's 2-3 zone Saturday night.

At times, Duke has struggled to score against length in the halfcourt, and if it is unable to knock down 3-pointers or attack the high post and short corner in the Orange zone—which could prove difficult without Utah Jazz swingman Rodney Hood—Jones' ability to create early offense could become a huge factor. The 6-foot-1 guard's defense against Syracuse guards Kaleb Joseph and Trevor Cooney—6-foot-3 and 6-foot-4, respectively—will also be an aspect of the game to keep an eye on.

Syracuse: guard Trevor Cooney

The Orange lost forward Chris McCullough for the season when he tore his ACL Jan. 11 against Florida State and have really struggled with depth issues since, which has put an enormous weight on the shoulders of Cooney and Christmas. Cooney plays 37.6 minutes per game and averages 14.8 points per contest, but will likely play a major role Saturday as a streaky perimeter shooter. The 6-foot-4 guard shoots just 37.6 percent from the field and 34.6 from 3-point range, but when he gets going can be one of the most deadly shooters in the game. In the game in which McCullough was injured, Cooney went 7-of-11 from distance and had 28 points as Syracuse cruised to a 13-point win.

Perimeter defense has been an issue for the Blue Devils at times this season, and if they give Cooney too much air space and let the Wilmington, Del., native get going, they could find themselves in another dogfight in front of a raucous crowd. Cooney went 9-of-12 from beyond the arc in a game against Notre Dame last year, but despite his occasional outbursts, has also been known for shooting his team out of games by shooting 8-10 3-pointers in games and connecting sparingly. If either scenario occurs again Saturday, it could have a huge bearing on the winner of a key ACC matchup.

Share and discuss “X factor: Duke basketball vs. Syracuse” on social media.