Need-to-know facts in the ADPhi investigation

As the Durham Police Department continues to investigate members of Alpha Delta Phi for an alleged sexual assault, the fraternity remains suspended by the University. Here are four questions and answers to further break down the case:

What are grounds for suspension of a greek organization?

The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life can suspend a greek organization for several reasons—including inability to prove sound financial standing, membership of fewer than three students and failure to abide by the constitution or bylaws of the individual chapter and its governing council. If a group does not meet these qualifications, it may be suspended.

An organization can also be suspended by its national affiliate. In that situation, OFSL complies with the group’s suspension.

The most recent high-profile suspensions was the 2013 suspension of Kappa Sigma, following backlash to its “Asia Prime” theme party.

What does suspension of a fraternity entail?

Terms of a suspension can vary situation by situation, but OSFL reserves the right to take away an organization’s ability to host events both on campus and off, to reserve campus space, to recruit new members and to participate in community-wide events such as intramurals or philanthropy.

What is second-degree rape?

Per North Carolina law, second-degree rape occurs when one person engages in vaginal intercourse by force and against the will of another person, or with someone who is mentally disabled, mentally incapacitated or physically helpless in a manner that is apparent.

What is sentencing typically like for second-degree rape?

Second-degree rape is a Class C felony in North Carolina, which can receive a sentence of 44 to 182 months—or approximately three to fifteen years—in jail.

Share and discuss “Need-to-know facts in the ADPhi investigation” on social media.