A moment of pause for the lives of three

This past Wednesday morning, with the air frigid, the clouds bleak and the wind rough, we woke to a heart-rending tragedy. We were told the lives of Deah Barakat, Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha and Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha were taken from us far too soon. Barakat, a second-year student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry, his newlywed wife, Yusor Abu-Salha, who planned on attending the UNC School of Dentistry in the Fall, and Razan Abu-Salha, a sophomore at North Carolina State University, were murdered on Tuesday in Chapel Hill, only a few miles from the UNC campus. Described as “generous, outstanding…exceptional… intelligent… [and] dedicated,” Barakat and Yusor and Razan Abu-Salha found great joy in giving back to their community. It was only a few weeks ago when Barakat delivered food and dental supplies to the homeless. It was only a year ago when Yusor and Razan Abu-Salha ventured off to Turkey in the summer to deliver dental care to students there. Similarly, Barakat planned on traveling to Turkey this upcoming summer on behalf of the project “Refugee Smiles” that aims to provide dental relief to Syrian refugee students at primary and secondary schools. They will surely be missed by all those they have crossed paths with.

Such a senseless tragedy can hardly be understood. The deaths of Barakat and Yusor and Razan Abu-Salha are not just numbers added to a statistic; they are not just names set aside as victims of a horrendous tragedy. They were three admirable individuals whose acts of compassion and generosity left the world a better place than it was before.

In the shadow of such misfortune, how can we move forward and show solidarity with the victims’ families and the affected community? The vigil held at UNC last Wednesday night and open to all in remembrance of the lives that were taken is one path toward presence and commemoration. There, thousands gathered as candles were lit and tears were wept. The vigil provided a space for healing and a heartening stand for remembrance. Yet, we must do more: We should listen to the community, the Muslim community especially, with sympathy and openness. Rather than tear down their concerns or sense of fear, we must engage their concerns in discussions and confront their hurt and fears rippling in the wake of the tragedy. With the understanding of the extended history of abuse their people have faced, the Muslim community has hurt most heavily. Although the reasons for the murders remain uncertain, we stand in solidarity with the community as a whole as the horrendous, meaningless misfortune that has been placed on Barakat and Yusor and Razan Abu-Salha, their families and their community should not be placed on anyone.

We remember the lives of Barakat and Yusor and Razan Abu-Salha and the promising futures that lied ahead of them. We extend our sincere condolences to their friends, family and loved ones. May they rest in peace.

Share and discuss “A moment of pause for the lives of three” on social media.