Classes canceled Tuesday, weather policy in effect until 5 p.m.

Snow settles over the Chapel Quadrangle Monday evening.

Duke has canceled classes for the remainder of the day Tuesday, with the Severe Weather and Emergency Conditions policy extended until 5 p.m.

The announcement came shortly before 9 a.m. Tuesday, with all campus bus service suspended due to icy conditions. Prior to the announcement, classes were scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. and the weather policy was set to end at 10 a.m.

Though buses are suspended until further notice, a number of campus facilities are still open. The only campus eateries to close due to the weather are the Nasher Museum Cafe and Quenchers—though several others are opening late, mostly at 10:30 a.m.—and options such as the University Store, East Campus Store and Lobby Shop are operating, as well.

The Duke Alert notes that crews worked overnight Monday and early morning Tuesday to clear the campus and spread sand, but slick spots remain. The high temperature Tuesday is 34 degrees, according to the National Weather Service, but further precipitation is not expected.

North Carolina State University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill also canceled classes Tuesday. North Carolina Central University canceled all classes before 1 p.m.

Share and discuss “Classes canceled Tuesday, weather policy in effect until 5 p.m.” on social media.