Blue Devils look for rare road win at Gardner-Webb

No. 7 redshirt junior Conner Hartmann will look to build on last weekend’s 3-0 performance on the road at Gardner-Webb.

When Duke travels to Boiling Springs, N.C., Wednesday to take on Gardner-Webb, it will be fighting for its first road win in almost a month.

The 5 p.m. matchup in Paul Porter Arena features two teams buoyed by strong weekend performances. The Blue Devils returned home to Card Gym Saturday for the first time this year, dispatching Drexel, American and Appalachian State in a thrilling sweep. The Runnin’ Bulldogs (6-9) bested conference foe Davidson and American on Super Bowl Sunday. For both teams, the matchup is a quick turnaround from their weekend, however Duke shows no signs of fatigue.

“We’re excited to get back on the mat,” head coach Glen Lanham said. “Our guys had a great weekend and have put in some hard work the past few days. Wednesday is an opportunity to make adjustments and see how we can improve.”

Road wins have proved elusive to Duke (5-4) since its thrilling 18-17 upset against then-No. 22 N.C. State in early January. But the team’s road struggles are in part due to the quality of competition they have encountered in the first half of their season.

In the past month, the unranked Blue Devils have battled ranked conference foes in hostile environments on two occasions. In one instance—against then-No. 9 Pittsburgh—Duke held the advantage until the final bout. However, the toughness and grit that the Blue Devils have shown in defeat has helped make the team stronger. As Lanham sees it, hard-fought battles have served as valuable learning experiences for his wrestlers.

“The schedule is planned to include some adversity,” Lanham said. “We see competition that challenges us and then we have opportunities to work on things and make adjustments. Those things are in place for a purpose. They help us build consistency and prepare for the ACC and national tournaments.”

Headlining the Duke lineup is seventh-ranked Conner Hartmann. The 197-pound Port Orchard, Wash., native continues to be a huge factor for the Blue Devils, earning 16 point for is team last time out. But, more than simply power his team from within the ring, Hartmann makes his teammates better.

“[Hartmann] is a strong leader in the room,” Lanham said. “Our guys feed off him. They see what he does—the way he prepares for matches—and they get a lot of positives from that. And then there’s his success. We all get a boost watching him succeed.”

Behind Hartmann is a younger face realizing his potential at just the right time. Sophomore Jacob Kasper went undefeated last weekend in dual competition, bringing his season win total to 21. The 184-pound Wheeling, W.Va., native has turned heads with his gutsy performances in the ring.

He was one of three Duke grapplers to earn a win against Virginia, twice escaping holds en route to taking the 3-2 decision.

“[Kasper] had a really great summer, and its starting to pay off for him,” Lanham said. “He is a strong performer on and off the mat. In these matches, it’s important for him to have constant improvement. We’re hoping to get some big things out of him come ACCs and nationals.”

Wednesday offers the Blue Devils an opportunity to inch closer toward tournament season form, and only time will tell if they are making the right adjustments.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils look for rare road win at Gardner-Webb” on social media.