Blue Devil wrestling picks up tough road win against Gardner-Webb

Redshirt sophomore Evan Botwin used a solid first two periods to build a clear lead and would take the match by an 11-5 decision.

After forfeiting two weight classes due to injury concerns, Duke needed a near perfect performance to take down Gardner-Webb.

But when the pressure was on Blue Devils shone, winning seven of eight bouts to top the Runnin’ Bulldogs 25-15 Wednesday night in Paul Porter Arena. Aided by the two Duke scratches, Gardner-Webb held a slight 15-10 edge with only four matches remaining. But Duke would come rocketing back, riding a 15-0 swing to earn its first road win since Jan 7.

“This win feels good,” head coach Glen Lanham said. “Going in knowing that we were giving up two weight classes, we knew that there wasn’t a lot of room for error. Seeing everyone to come out and wrestle hard makes me feel good about things going into this weekend.”

Beginning the dual in a 0-6 hole after the first forfeit, the Blue Devils could not afford a slow start. Rather than buckling under the pressure, however, Duke rallied around it, beginning the night with a flurry of victories

In the 133-pound weigh class, freshman Mitch Finesilver battled his way to a 3-1 decision against Gardner-Webb junior Tyler Zieglar. The win put the Blue Devils on the scoreboard and earned Finesilver his third dual victory of the season.

In the next match, redshirt sophomore Evan Botwin used a spectacular first two periods to build a clear lead over his opponent. The Chestnut Hill, Pa., native’s 11-5 decision tied the Runnin’ Bulldogs at 6-6 and set the stage Duke’s thrilling finish to the night.

In the end, it was the Blue Devils’ aggressiveness and energy that gave them the edge they needed to pull off their improbable victory.

“We had to be perfect down the stretch,” Lanham said. “Our guys didn’t wrestle tight. They attacked in every position. It was a great team effort. Everybody fed off of each other and because of that we got the victory.”

Redshirt senior Immanuel Ker-Brown and No. 7 redshirt junior Conner Hartmann each recorded major decisions after the second team forfeit, giving Duke a 20-15 edge heading into the heavyweights.

Redshirt junior Brendan Walsh powered the Blue Devils to their 25-15 finish with a dominating 16-0 technical fall against the Runnin’ Bulldogs’ big man, Drew Barrett.

The win marked Duke’s fourth dual victory in five days, after the team recorded a trio of victories last Saturday. The recent success bodes well for the Blue Devils’ future, but adversity has its own rewards. Tests like the one faced at Gardner-Webb offers Duke valuable learning experiences to prepare them for the fast-approaching tournament season.

“I think that [being shorthanded] was a good test for our guys," Lanham said. “Everyone needed to take it upon themselves to wrestle hard and that’s what they did. Right now the focus is on winning and learning…knowing that there’s pressure on you to preform. It’s all practice for ACCs and nationals.”

The Blue Devils return to Card Gym to take on Sacred Heart Saturday at 7:30 p.m., where they will look to keep their home winning streak alive and keep the momentum going before they take on North Carolina just four days later.

“We spend a lot of time on the road so it’s always good to come home and wrestle," Lanham said. “Last weekend we had a great time. Lots of fans came to watch us wrestle. We’re all excited to get home and looking forward to getting win number 10.”

Share and discuss “Blue Devil wrestling picks up tough road win against Gardner-Webb” on social media.