911 call in ADPhi case: alleged victim had 'bruises and scratches'

As the Durham Police Department continues to investigate members of Alpha Delta Phi for an alleged sexual assault, the fraternity remains suspended by the University.

The investigation stems from a Jan. 8 party at a West Chapel Hill Road house leased by members of the fraternity. After drinking what she thought was hot chocolate at the party, a female freshman woke up the next morning with no memory of the night before and missing some of her clothing. The student went to Duke University Hospital, where a rape kit was performed and 911 was called.

The caller in the 911 conversation has been redacted. In the 911 call, it is revealed that the student had “bruises and scratches” following the party, and the caller mentions the possibility of date rape drugs. The full call, originally reported by ABC 11 News, is as follows—

Caller: "I am at Duke Hospital with a Duke student who has been sexually assaulted. The issue and concern we're having is we don't know where she was assaulted because the body was off campus. I need a Durham Police Officer here. Duke Police are not doing it. Since we don't know where she was assaulted, having a Duke Police Officer here is not sufficient."

Caller: "She woke up around noon today. We don't know when the assault happened she was presumably in Durham, presumably drugged, the date rape drug or whatever you call it involved. She has no idea."

Operator: "Is the suspect in the area?"

Caller: "Yes, he is. He's probably in that house that is off campus."

Operator: "Does she have any other injuries?"

Caller: "Yes, bruises and scratches on her legs, arms and back. And a bruise on her forehead."

The police investigation has revealed that GPS data from the student’s phone placed her in the vicinity of an apartment complex on South LaSalle Street for a period of time after she left the party—near the apartment of a senior member of the fraternity, who some witnesses said left the party with the freshman.

Representatives from the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life deferred comment to Clarybel Peguero, assistant dean and director of fraternity sorority life. Peguero deferred to the Duke Community Standard and the fraternity and sorority recognition policy in response to questions about the University’s greek life suspension policies.

Share and discuss “911 call in ADPhi case: alleged victim had 'bruises and scratches'” on social media.