RECESS  |  CULTURE

Trust or Bust: 2015 TV Predictions

Ah, there’s nothing like the smell of new shows in the morning. Well, except napalm maybe. The new year has finally begun, so we are guaranteed an array of TV show premieres, from quirky comedies to tense thrillers. But be wary, my dear friends, for similar to the fall, plenty of these supposedly enthralling entities are likely to have short-lived seasons and get the unfortunate axe before they ever get into a groove. So, today, I hope to go out on a limb and predict the fate of the upcoming spectacles.

Marvel’s Agent Carter

Generic Script

To be honest, I struggled to get into Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD. If you’ve seen it, you know it is a fairly uneven show. Nonetheless, this new show is written by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, the same writers for this past year’s highly successful Captain America: The Winter Soldier. With a balance of wit and action, I trust that Hayley Atwell’s Agent Carter will be more than your typical crime fighter. Also, it’s supposed to fit in with the already popular Marvel Cinematic Universe. My only fear is the strength of the relatively unknown supporting cast, but a few episodes should make that clearer.

Prediction: Three seasons before cancellation

Man Seeking Woman

Generic Script

I love Jay Baruchel in all his awkward glory, which works great in films like She’s Out of My League and This is the End, but I can’t see it working on the small screen. This FXX comedy about a man and his struggle in the dating scene just doesn’t seem like it will appeal to a broad audience. It’s awkward and quirky, similar to HBO’s Hello Ladies, which failed to reach the ratings it needed to remain.

Prediction: Axed midway through the first season

Fresh Off the Boat

Generic Script

Despite likely being politically incorrect, this show looks hysterical, and I believe it’s the type of show that’s really going to push the boundaries of comedy. It’s bound to be polarizing. Love it or hate it, I think the story of a 90's family opening up a restaurant could highlight and satirize modern stereotypes. It may lose some of its creativity if it makes it past one season.

Prediction: One strong season followed by one weak season.

Better Call Saul

Generic Script

As a die-hard Breaking Bad fan, I may be a little biased when I say this, but this show cannot fail. From the genius mind of Vince Gilligan comes the prequel about our favorite shady lawyer. Meet Jimmy McGill, played by the tremendously talented Bob Odenkirk, as he works his way up from an unknown, small-timer to the crooked criminal attorney who would one day service the infamous Walter White and Jesse Pinkman.

Prediction: Five seasons, similar to Breaking Bad, with a series finale connecting the two shows.

Westworld

Generic Script

A sci-fi "futuristic amusement park at the dawn of artificial intelligence" sounds intriguing on its own, but throw in Jonathan Nolan, creator of Interstellar and Person of Interest, and I’m already hooked. The HBO show's cast list includes the likes of Anthony Hopkins, Evan Rachel Wood, Jeffrey Wright and Ed Harris, so expect intense drama week after week. HBO has a knack for finding some of the most provocative and stimulating shows of our generation, and Westworld should be no exception.

Prediction: Four successful seasons.

The Last Man On Earth

Generic Script

Now, I’m not going to argue about the comedic presence that Will Forte brings to the screen, but a one-man show is just highly difficult to get viewers to watch week after week. Most movies can’t even pull off that feat, so, again, I just struggle to see how a multi-episode TV show will succeed on this front.

Prediction: Cancelled after three episodes.

Marvel's Daredevil

Generic Script

Nothing. Let me repeat. Nothing can possibly be as bad as Ben Affleck’s turn as the blind superhero. Netflix is looking to create a gritty remake for Matt Murdock as he navigates his way from streetwise vigilante to legitimate crime-fighting crusader. With hits like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, Netflix does appear to be on a roll, but they are untested in the superhero arena. Daredevil will be the first of a four-piece Marvel deal for famous characters from Luke Cage to Jessica Jones.

Prediction: Two seasons before Daredevil may join Marvel’s film universe

Empire

Generic Script

Lee Daniels has brought together a vast assortment of talent, from Terrence Howard to Taraji P. Henson for this highly anticipated musical drama centered on a rising hip hop empire. Apparently loosely based on Shakespeare’s King Lear but with a modern setting, I suspect this show will attract a large and diverse audience for its themes of family, greed and power.

Prediction: Three successful seasons and one lackluster one on its way down.

Here’s a quick rundown for a few other shows.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Tina Fey written. Do I need to say more?

Scream: This film series is long past dead. Doesn’t need a TV series.

Togetherness: Love the Duplass brothers. Dysfunctional family is a bit clichéd

12 Monkeys: Leave that classic science fiction film alone!

Backstrom: Go back to The Office, Dwight.

Battle Creek: In Vince Gilligan, we trust.

Wayward Pines: In M. Night Shyamalan, we don’t.

Cheers to a new year of great (and not-so-great) original programming.

Share and discuss “Trust or Bust: 2015 TV Predictions” on social media.