Letter to the Editor

I enjoyed the letters from Mr. McCartney and from Rev. Trisha Koenig very much—especially the spirit of kindness and good will with which they were written. However, please consider that perhaps the question should also be if a demonstrative public display of the tenants of ANY religion is appropriate on a college campus. If complete freedom to gather and to worship is respected ,what is to gained or to be desired by overt public cries of one's faith?

Students at Duke of the Buddhist, Hindu, Sikh and Jain faiths—also probably most likely from the Jewish and Christian faiths—gather quietly and unobtrusively to pray, worship and meditate. My husband is Jain and I know first hand their devotion to Ahimsa and to calling as little attention to themselves as possible in any public sphere.

Quiet, peaceful devotion to one's faith and the practice of Ahimsic/non-violent good will to all beings speak volumes about the character and intentions of one's heart. No outer cry seems necessary on a college campus. Please know that this letter was written with compassion and caring for all of those of the Abrahamic and non-Abrahamic faiths. The potential for true brotherhood for the followers of the Abrahamic/monotheistic faiths is a wonderful goal, but please be mindful that there also many devotees of other faiths—quiet, peaceful and sometimes unnoticed—who are not of Abrahamic roots, and contribute so much to campus diversity. In letters and discussions about campus life, please remember them as well.

Thank you. Peace to all!

Rebecca Purcell Sanghavi

Duke M.A. '75

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor” on social media.