Doctor with Duke ties fatally shot

A doctor who died Tuesday following a shooting at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston had ties to Duke.

Dr. Michael Davidson, 44, was shot twice Tuesday morning inside the hospital and died Tuesday night. The alleged shooter, Stephen Pasceri, was later found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Davidson completed his residency at Duke University Medical Center in the late 1990s and early 2000s. His wife, Dr. Terri Halperin, earned her medical degree from the Duke School of Medicine in 2001.

The couple have three children, and his wife is currently seven months pregnant.

A 2001 issue of the Duke alumni magazine shows Davidson and Halperin kissing under the headline "The Perfect Match."

Davidson served as the director of endovascular cardiac surgery at Brigham and Women's.

Pasceri's mother was a patient of Davidson's before she died in November 2014. When Pasceri walked into the hospital Tuesday morning, he asked to speak to Davidson and shot him twice with a .40-caliber pistol when the two entered an exam room to talk, according to police reports.

The hospital does not have metal detectors.

“Dr. Davidson was a wonderful and inspiring bright light and an outstanding cardiac surgeon who devoted his career to saving lives and improving the quality of life of every patient he cared for,” Dr. Elizabeth Nabel, the hospital’s president, wrote in a late-night letter to staff members Tuesday. “It is truly devastating that his own life was taken in this horrible manner.”

Davidson earned his undergraduate degree at Princeton University and his medical degree at Yale University.

Share and discuss “Doctor with Duke ties fatally shot” on social media.