Stock Watch: Okafor, Duke football seniors rising after Thanksgiving

The bell of the Blue Zone stock exchange has just rung again, meaning it's time for another taking a look at who is rising and falling with their performances for Blue Devil sports teams. Each week The Blue Zone will look at whose stock is on the rise and whose stock has taken a hit from the week in the world of Duke athletics.

Bull Market—Trending Up

Jahlil Okafor: Okafor has met expectations early in the season and dominated Furman and Army, putting up Duke's first 20-point performances of the season and recording his first career double-double. The 6-foot-11 center was named ACC Rookie of the Week for the third consecutive week and is averaging 17.7 points on 63.6 percent shooting and 7.9 rebounds in just 27.4 minutes per game.

With a major showdown against Frank Kaminsky and No. 2 Wisconsin Wednesday, it will be interesting to see whether or not Okafor plays more minutes against the Badgers in the Blue Devils' first true test.

Duke football seniors: Quarterback Anthony Boone, wide receivers Jamison Crowder and Issac Blakeney, right guard Laken Tomlinson, mike linebacker David Helton and the entire senior class led the way as the Blue Devils bounced back from consecutive losses to down Wake Forest 41-21 Saturday night. With the win, Duke secured back-to-back nine-win seasons for the first time ever and sent Wallace Wade Stadium out on a high note.

Most people can't have a true appreciation for the rapid change that has taken place in the Blue Devil football program, but the senior class about to play its final game for Duke was instrumental in the shift. Crowder, Tomlinson and Helton were rewarded with first team All-ACC honors Monday afternoon after putting together strong seasons and leading the way for the Blue Devils all year. Senior offensive tackle Takoby Cofield also earned third-team All-ACC recognition.

Marshall Plumlee's shooting stroke: Duke's 7-foot backup center has wowed fans, teammates and coaches alike with his impressive shooting ability this season. Plumlee famously knocked down this 3-pointer in the Blue Devils' season opener against Presbyterian.

Youtube Player

But Plumlee has shown that the 3-pointer might not have been a complete fluke and is now 10-of-10 from the free throw line as well after seven games. The Warsaw, Ind., native went 0-of-8 from the charity stripe as a redshirt freshman and was 6-of-17 last year, so calling his performance so far this season an improvement is not doing his efforts justice.

Plumlee has raised his career average from 24 percent to 45.7 percent and is in position to push pass the 50-percent threshold unless this Stock Watch jinxes him.

Duke basketball custom shoes: The Blue Devils got custom LeBron 12's for their season opener and recently were gifted custom Kyrie Irving Air Force 1's thanks to strong partnerships with Nike and NBA stars. The shoes Duke's players now choose to wear during actual games will be something to follow with so many options to choose from and many preferring to wear less high-profile shoes that are more practical.

Bear Market—Trending Down

North Carolina football and basketball: After dominating Duke 45-20 Nov. 20 at Wallace Wade Stadium, the Tar Heels seemed poised for a second-place Coastal Division finish if they could beat rival N.C. State at home Saturday. Instead, North Carolina fell flat on its face, falling 35-7 to give Duke second place in the division and finish another disappointing regular season 6-6.

On the hardwood, the Tar Heels were upset 69-67 at the hands of an undersized Butler squad last Wednesday and surrendered 29 offensive rebounds. As a result, North Carolina fell from No. 5 to No. 12 in this week's AP Poll.

After helping paint-removal companies trend up in last week's Stock Watch, the Tar Heels seem determined to make an appearance from week to week one way or another.

Share and discuss “Stock Watch: Okafor, Duke football seniors rising after Thanksgiving” on social media.