Report: Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel considering playing for Duke as graduate transfer

Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel was officially released by the Gators this past week, but is Durham his next destination?

The Orlando Sentinel's Edgar Thompson is reporting that Gator head coach Jim McElwain announced that the redshirt junior would be leaving the program. Driskel has graduated from Florida and has one-year of eligibility remaining. Since he is a graduate transfer he will be eligible to play right away.

Twitter Tweet

Before the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas, between Duke and No. 15 Arizona State, Laura Keeley of the News & Observers first reported that Driskel is considering becoming a graduate transfer for the Blue Devils next season.

Team sources said that the team had no comment following the December 27, 2014 game. In the original report, Keeley wrote that Driskel has sent Duke a release allowing the team to contact him.

Driskel has had a tumultuous career after being tabbed the top pro-style quarterback coming out of high school and helping the Gators to an 11-2 record in his first season as a starter in 2012. He threw for 1,646 yards, with 12 touchdowns and five interceptions during the campaign.

The Ovieda, Fla., native has compiled a 5-4 record the past two seasons as a starter and has been forced to battle multiple injuries, including a broken leg early in the 2013 season.

This season, he lost playing time to freshman Treon Harris after throwing for just 1,092 yards, with nine touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

With redshirt senior quarterback Anthony Boone—who owned a 19-3 record as a regular-season starter—playing his last game Saturday, the Blue Devils face an uncertain future at quarterback.

Redshirt sophomore backup Thomas Sirk only played in short-yardage situations this season and has attempted just 14 career passes and third-string quarterback Parker Boehme has thrown just twice as a redshirt freshman. Freshman Nicodem Pierre was touted coming out of high school, but did not do enough to supplant Sirk or Boehme on the depth chart.

If Driskel does indeed end up choosing to transfer to Duke, he will likely be the favorite to win the starting job and have a chance to lead the Blue Devils to a fourth straight bowl game.

Keep up with the Blue Zone as more information is revealed about this developing story and for all of your Duke football and recruiting news.

This story was updated at 11:45 a.m. Saturday to reflect that Driskel was officially released from Florida. Brian Mazur contributed in reporting.

Share and discuss “Report: Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel considering playing for Duke as graduate transfer” on social media.