Justin Robinson, son of legend David Robinson, to be 2015 preferred walk-on for Duke basketball

Stars like Chase Jeter and Luke Kennard will be joining the Blue Devil basketball program next year, but the third member of the team's freshman class came as a surprise Tuesday night.

Justin Robinson, the son of legendary center David Robinson, will be added to Duke's roster next year as a preferred walk-on, team sources confirmed Tuesday evening.

The 6-foot-7 forward was admitted to Duke's Class of 2019 early when decisions were released Dec. 12 thanks to his work in the classroom and will be rewarded with a spot on one of the nation's best rosters next year.

In a text to Adam Rowe of 24/7 sports, who first reported the news, Robinson revealed that he has been attracted to the Blue Devil program because of the school's academic prowess in addition to its tradition on the court.

"I'm happy to get early decision from Duke since it is so amazing academically," Robinson wrote. "It's been a long time dream for me. The opportunity to be a preferred walk-on is exciting and I'm looking forward to being a part of the Duke Basketball tradition."

Robinson attended Duke's basketball camp the past few summers and his father, David Robinson, has always been linked to Blue Devil head coach Mike Krzyzewski because of Krzyzewski's role as a coach on the 1992 Dream Team.

Duke also defeated Robinson's Navy squad by 21 points in the Elite Eight in 1986.

Keep up with The Chronicle for continued coverage of Duke basketball as this story continues to develop and for all of your team news and recruiting news.

Share and discuss “Justin Robinson, son of legend David Robinson, to be 2015 preferred walk-on for Duke basketball” on social media.