Notre Dame basketball 2014-2015 season preview

Notre Dame Fighting Irish

2013-14 Record: 15-17, 6-12 in the ACC

Head coach: Mike Brey

Tenure at Notre Dame: 15th season

Career coaching record: 399-211

Home court: Purcell Pavilion

Starters: G Demetrius Jackson, G Jerian Grant, G Steve Vasturia, G Pat Connaughton, F Zach Auguste

Bench: F Bonzie Colson, F Martinas Geben

Overview: Notre Dame enters the season looking to bounce back from a disappointing inaugural ACC season, one that was crippled 12 games into the year by the suspension of guard Jerian Grant. Before his suspension, Grant averaged 19.0 points and 6.2 assists per game for the Fighting Irish.

The two key departures for Notre Dame were guard Eric Atkins and center Garrick Sherman. Filling in for the suspended Grant, Atkins stepped up to average 13.9 points and 4.9 assists per game last season. Sherman led the team with 7.3 rebounds per game and also contributed 13.5 points per game.

Joining the Fighting Irish this season are freshmen forwards Bonzie Colson and Martin Geben. The 6-foot-5 Colson is undersized but versatile and is the team’s premier recruit. Geben is large at 6-foot-9 but is comfortable shooting the outside jumper as well. Another freshman, Matt Farrell, enters as a point guard and has been praised for his vision and ability to distribute the basketball.

During the summer, Brey took his team on a trip to play in Italy. In many of the games, the Notre Dame coach ran an unconventional four-guard lineup, playing Demetrius Jackson, Pat Connaughton, Steve Vasturia and Grant all at the same time. Jackson and Vasturia will both be called upon to step up in their sophomore seasons. The senior Connaughton will play a more mature role—he averaged 13.8 points per game last season and will need to lead the team along with Grant. Rounding out the starting five for the Fighting Irish will likely be 6-foot-10 junior forward Zach Auguste. The Marlborough, Mass., native played only 16.3 minutes per game last season, but was a capable rebounder when on the court. Junior forward Austin Burgett and sophomore forward V.J. Beachem both will offer Brey size off the bench.

One thing that needs to go right: Auguste picks up right where Sherman left off by establishing himself as a dominant frontcourt presence and averaging a double-double.

One thing that could go wrong: The Fighting Irish fail to overcome their defensive struggles from last season—the team ranked 196th in the nation with 70.6 points allowed per game last season.

Share and discuss “Notre Dame basketball 2014-2015 season preview” on social media.