North Carolina causes $10,000 in damages to Duke locker room

North Carolina strolled into Durham last Thursday and went on to destroy the then-No. 21 Blue Devils' ACC title hopes via a 45-20 beat down. But the Tar Heels did not let the destruction end there.

North Carolina players racked up $10,000-worth in damages to Duke's visiting locker room at Wallace Wade Stadium after they went a little wild with the spray paint used to paint the Victory Bell.

As is custom, the winner of the rivalry game is awarded the Bell and paints it their respective shade of blue on the field. But as the celebration, players and Victory Bell made their way back to the locker room, so did the spray paint.

According to the Herald-Sun, the players allegedly tagged the walls and carpets in the locker room with the spray paint, and would go on to write the letters "UNC" on the wall next to the entrance door.

Tar Heel head coach Larry Fedora and athletic director Bubba Cunningham called their counterparts at Duke to apologize for the incident. North Carolina has volunteered to pay for the damages.

Fedora and Cunningham issued a joint statement through the University:

"We would like to apologize to the Duke Football program and Duke University for some inappropriate actions after last Thursday night's game in Durham. Our team took the celebration too far when they were painting the bell, resulting in damage to some of the facilities at Duke. We take full responsibility for our actions and will be paying for all costs associated with the cleanup. We view this as a rivalry built on mutual respect and we expect our players to behave better in a way that is more befitting of the rivalry."

Share and discuss “North Carolina causes $10,000 in damages to Duke locker room” on social media.