N.C. State basketball 2014-15 season preview

N.C. State Wolfpack

2013-14 Record: 22-14, 9-9 in the ACC

Head coach: Mark Gottfried

Tenure at N.C. State: 4th season

Career coaching record: 70-36

Home court: PNC Arena

Starters: C Beejay Anya, F Kyle Washington, F Trevor Lacey, G Ralston Turner, G Anthony “Cat” Barber

Bench: F Abdul-Malik Abu, F Lennard Freeman, G Desmond Lee

Overview: Head coach Mark Gottfried always seems to be rebuilding, a fact that has not changed for the Wolfpack this upcoming season. With T.J. Warren gone—N.C. State's top scorer from last season was picked in the first round by the Phoenix Suns—the Wolfpack will trot out a new-look lineup complete with two transfers and several role players from last season. Although not ranked in the AP preseason top 25, N.C. State is expected to compete in the new-look ACC. The Wolfpack are one of five ACC teams to make each of the past three NCAA tournaments—the others being Duke, Louisville, North Carolina and Syracuse.

An influx of transfers has injected talent into the Wolfpack lineup. Junior Trevor Lacey (Alabama) and senior Desmond Lee—who transferred from New Mexico Junior College two years ago—bring much-needed veteran experience to a very young roster. Lightning-quick sophomore point guard Anthony "Cat" Barber takes over the duties of court general from the departed Warren. Barber showed flashes of his ball-handling and court speed last year, so much so that Tyler Lewis transferred to Butler.

Maybe the most intriguing returnee from last season is sophomore Beejay Anya, who came to Raleigh as a 349-pound center. He still had 46 blocks and 68 rebounds in 388 total minutes played. This year, however, Anya has slimmed down to 295 pounds and, with a 7-foot-9 wingspan, he could become one of the premier post defenders in the ACC.

Freshman Abdul-Malik Abu, a 6-foot-8 top-50 recruit, could be the x-factor for the Wolfpack off the bench as he adjusts to the college game. He averaged 24.5 points and 10.5 rebounds per game in his final season at Kimball Union Academy. Gottfried has many talented pieces to play with, but only the season will tell if the transfers, new starters and the touted freshman gel into a postseason squad. With three tournament appearances in three years, the Wolfpack’s rebuilding process is in good hands with Gottfried.

One thing that needs to go right: Barber is up to the challenge of leading the offense and is able to spread defenses with his quickness and driving ability.

One thing that could go wrong: The new additions do not gel together and a slimmed-down Anya does not show any improvement with his offensive touch, leading to a slow start for the team.

Share and discuss “N.C. State basketball 2014-15 season preview” on social media.