Duke receives more than 3,100 early applications

Duke has received more than 3,100 Early Decision applications for the Class of 2019.

The 3,146 applications represent a slight dip from last year, when the University received a record 3,180 early applications. Last year also saw a record proportion of students admitted early, with 47 percent of the Class of 2018 committing to Duke with their December acceptance. Early decision is a binding program.

In a DukeNews release, Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Christoph Guttentag said that whether or not Duke again admits such a high number of students early remains to be seen.

“Because of the number and quality of Early Decision applicants last year, we were able to admit about 50 more students in December than we had the previous year. The number we admit this year will depend entirely on the qualities of the students applying,” Guttentag said in the release. “We don’t go into the Early Decision process with a particular goal in mind; we’ll admit those students who we believe are the best match for Duke."

Through the mid-2000s, Duke consistently admitted approximately 30 percent of each incoming class through early decision. As applications have increased, however—more than doubling from 2002 to 2013—Duke has admitted more of its class early, hitting nearly half of the class last year.

“We’re pleased at the number of students who have already decided that Duke is their absolute top choice for college,” Guttentag said in the release. "These are students who have outstanding academic and personal qualities, and who are excited at the prospect of attending Duke. They’ve applied from all 50 states and from 62 countries, and we look forward to reading their applications and hearing their stories.”

According to the release, the Pratt School of Engineering saw an increased number of early applications. The most popular states for applicants were North Carolina, New York, California, Florida, New Jersey and Virginia.

Share and discuss “Duke receives more than 3,100 early applications” on social media.