Around the ACC: Week 12

A hectic week around the conference left Duke in control of its own destiny in the ACC Coastal Division despite its loss.

Virginia Tech 17, No. 19 Duke 16

The Blue Devils’ four-game winning streak ended with their loss to Virginia Tech at Wallace Wade Stadium. Duke (8-2, 4-2 in the ACC) had two opportunities in the final minutes of the fourth quarter to reclaim a lead. But a missed 40-yard field goal by Ross Martin and then a turnover on downs at Duke’s own 40-yard line with 43 seconds left let the Hokies escape with the victory. Virginia Tech (5-5, 2-4) capitalized on two interceptions off Anthony Boone, who was 18-of-40 with 181 passing yards, and DeVon Edwards’s fumble on a kickoff. One of Boone’s interceptions occurred right after Duke cornerback Breon Borders picked off Michael Brewer.

The Blue Devils outgained Virginia Tech 123-7 at one point early in the game. Duke also held a 16-7 advantage late in the third quarter, but the Blue Devils’ inability to finish offensive drives with touchdowns rather than field goals allowed the Hokies to stay in the game.

Despite the loss, Duke is still in control of its own destiny after Miami’s loss to Florida State. Head coach David Cutcliffe's squad has a short week to prepare for a Thursday night home game against rival North Carolina. The Blue Devils will clinch the ACC Coastal crown with wins against the Tar Heels and Wake Forest.

No. 3 Florida State 30, Miami 25

It was a tale of two halves in a Saturday night showdown between two historic in-state rivals. But when all was said and done, Florida State (10-0, 6-0) once again rallied from a double-digit deficit to to defeat the Hurricanes (6-4, 3-3).

In the first half, a stout Miami defense held quarterback Jameis Winston and Florida State to 10 points. The Seminoles did not pick up first down until their fourth offensive drive. On the other side of the ball, the Hurricanes' balanced offensive attack led by quarterback Brad Kaaya and running back Duke Johnson helped Miami take a 16-0 lead out of the gate. But later on in the second quarter, Al Golden's squad failed to lengthen a 16-point lead when Michael Badgely missed a 29-yard field goal, opening the door for the Seminoles.

Florida State increased its level of play and benefited from Hurricane blunders in the second half. Miami could not capitalize on a blown coverage by the Seminoles early in the half and the Florida State slowly chipped away at their deficit with the help of conservative Hurricane play calls on offense and defense. With 3:05 remaining, the Seminoles took their first lead 30-26 after Dalvin Cook’s 26-yard rushing touchdown. Jalen Ramsey’s interception off Kaaya in the final minute sealed the comeback victory.

No. 22 Georgia Tech 28, No. 19 Clemson 6

Clemson (7-3, 6-3) could not rebound after the loss of starting quarterback Deshaun Watson to a knee injury in the first quarter. The Tigers only generated 190 yards of total offense. Georgia Tech (9-2, 6-2) returned two of its three interceptions off backup quarterback Cole Stoudt for touchdowns and the Yellow Jackets’ wishbone offense ran for 251 yards to dominate the clock.

With their ACC schedule finished, the Yellow Jackets must rely on a Duke loss to clinch the Coastal Division title. The Tigers' loss allowed Florida State to clinch the Atlantic Division and punch its ticket to Charlotte a few weeks early. Clemson now looks to recover from its defeat with wins against Georgia Southern and in-state rival South Carolina.

North Carolina 40, Pittsburgh 35

The Tar Heels (5-5, 3-3) edged out the Panthers (4-6, 2-4) in a nail-biter at Kenan Memorial Stadium. With 50 minutes left in regulation, T.J. Logan scored the go-ahead 1-yard rushing touchdown. On Pittsburgh’s next offensive possession, quarterback Chad Voytik fumbled on a keeper when Malik Simmons tackled him hard. Shakeel Rashad’s recovery of the fumble secured the victory for the Tar Heels. North Carolina quarterback Marquise Williams had a strong performance, throwing for 276 yards and a score as well as running for 122 yards and three touchdowns to highlight a huge win for the Tar Heels.

N.C. State 42, Wake Forest 13

The Wolfpack (6-5, 2-5) became bowl eligible for the fourth time in five seasons with their win against the Demon Deacons (2-8, 0-8). N.C. State gashed Wake Forest with 362 yards rushing and blew the game open when wide receiver Brian Underwood scored on a 75-yard reverse in the beginning of the second half. The dominant rushing attack made up for a subpar performance from N.C. State quarterback Jacoby Brisset, who was only 8-of-19 for 83 yards.

Wake Forest’s offensive woes continued against a defense that failed to force a Georgia Tech punt last week. The Demon Deacons only garnered 219 yards on offense.

The Wolfpack hope to booster their resume for a quality postseason bowl game with a win at North Carolina Nov. 25. Wake Forest will look for it first conference win against Virginia Tech on Senior Day next week.

Byes: Boston College, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia

Share and discuss “Around the ACC: Week 12” on social media.