Duke in the NFL: Thompson, Helfet, Rey excel given more opportunities

With week eight of the NFL season in the books, the Blue Zone takes a look at how three former Blue Devils have excelled on the gridiron in recent weeks.

Juwan Thompson, Denver Broncos: The undrafted free agent has made an immediate impact for the Broncos in the absence of Montee Ball. Thompson rushed seven times for 24 yards and two touchdowns in the Broncos 35-21 win over the Chargers Thursday. Thompson has been playing the complementary hammer role to the more elusive Ronnie Hillman. Until Ball returns from injury, Thompson will continue getting the ball at the goal-line. Against the Cardinals in his NFL debut, Thompson only rushed for 15 yards on three carries, but scored a touchdown. He has three touchdowns along with 107 yards on 24 carries in the month of October, despite not even being active in September.

The 5-foot-11, 225-pound bruiser has been a versatile goal-line back for the Broncos, who are now considered the favorite to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. Thompson will likely play a large role down the stretch as the weather gets colder and the Broncos rely on their running game more.

Vincent Rey, Cincinnati Bengals: The four-year veteran has come into his own this season, splitting time at all three linebacker positions and making plays all over the field. After filling in for an injured Ray Maualuga last season in three starts, Rey earned the coaches' trust and has seen significant playing time throughout the first two months of the season. In the last three weeks, Rey has 23 tackles, including 16 in a loss to the Colts. With recurring injuries to Maualuga and Vontaze Burfict, Rey will continue to be an x-factor on defense as the Bengals make a playoff push.

Cooper Helfet, Seattle Seahawks: As his modeling career his already blossoming, check NFL tight end off the list of careers for Cooper Helfet. The former Duke tight end, now in his third season in the NFL, was on the Seahawks practice squad until late September when injuries to receivers allowed for Helfet to be called up to the active roster. In four games played, Helfet has six receptions for 115 yards and this beautiful touchdown catch, a toe-tapping snag that came after he outfought Rams safety T.J. McDonald with the Seahawks losing by six with nine minutes left. At 6-foot-3 and 236 pounds, Helfet will provide another big target for Russell Wilson and the Seattle offense, especially in the red zone.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NFL: Thompson, Helfet, Rey excel given more opportunities” on social media.