Duke in the NBA: Rookies Parker and Hood, Blue Devil veterans look to adjust to new surroundings

With training camp just getting underway for most NBA teams, we take a look at the statuses of the former Blue Devil standouts that are getting adjusted to new teams—two rookies and three veterans that made offseason moves.

Jabari Parker, Milwaukee Bucks: The No. 2 overall pick in this year's draft has the talent to follow in the footsteps of Grant Hill and Kyrie Irving to become a perennial All-Star early in his career. Parker is projected by most experts to be the Rookie of the Year due to his limitless offensive potential and work ethic that allowed him to average 19.1 points and 8.7 rebounds per game last year at Duke.

New head coach Jason Kidd—who helped Mason Plumlee enjoy a solid rookie campaign last year in Brooklyn—is hoping that Parker's skills can help the Bucks bounce back after last year's dismal 15-67 season. The team opened training camp Tuesday and has a long month ahead of it trying to incorporate Parker, 6-foot-10 Greek forward Giannis Antetokounmpo—who played point guard during Summer League—and its young core of Brandon Knight, Kendall Marshall, Larry Sanders and John Henson into Kidd's system.

After struggling with turnovers and defense in summer league, it will be interesting to see how Parker progresses and handles the high expectations when the regular season begins later this month.

Rodney Hood, Utah Jazz: Hood took a bit of a tumble in the draft, falling to the Jazz at No. 23 after being projected to be a borderline lottery selection. He joins a young nucleus headlined by Trey Burke, No. 5 pick Dante Exum and Gordon Hayward and first-time head coach Quin Snyder, a former Blue Devil himself. Hood is expected to come off the bench and rotate with Hayward and youngster Alec Burks for minutes on the wing.

The Meridian, Miss., native had an up-and-down Summer League in which he averaged 13.4 points per game, highlighted by a 29-point game against Parker and the Bucks in which he hit seven of his 10 3-point attempts. The lefty's silky smooth jumper and offensive game could make him a key factor this season for Utah, but consistency on defense and with the other aspects of the game will likely determine how successful Hood in his first NBA season. The team began incorporating Snyder's system Tuesday when it opened training camp.

Luol Deng, Miami Heat: With career averages of 16.0 points and 5.7 rebounds a game, Deng is an All-Star reserve at best and a solid role player at worst. The 6-foot-9 forward is not however, Lebron James, the man he is replacing with Heat. Deng admitted as much in a recent interview with Fox Sports and realizing this might just be his strength. The 10-year veteran will look to bounce back after a disappointing brief stint with Cleveland after being traded from Chicago in the middle of last year and keep Miami near the top of the Eastern Conference with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

After the recent racially-insensitive comments made by Atlanta Hawks General Manager Danny Ferry regarding Deng's African heritage and Deng's grace in handling the situation, the versatile forward is likely glad that the season is rapidly approaching. Miami also opened training camp Tuesday.

Josh McRoberts, Miami Heat: Deng will be accompanied in Miami by McRoberts, a journeyman forward who will be playing for his fifth NBA team since entering the league in 2007. This summer has been one of recovery for the 6-foot-10 forward, as he had surgery on his toe shortly after his new team swept him and the Bobcats in the playoffs. As a result, he missed the Heat's first preseason scrimmage Wednesday and will most likely not see any action during the preseason.

Although he expects to start the regular season on the court, missing preseason games may make it difficult for him to establish chemistry with a new team on which he is expected to start. However, the intensity and relative versatility that McRoberts brings to the heat should make him a good fit alongside Bosh in the team's frontcourt.

Carlos Boozer, Los Angeles Lakers: Unlike Deng and McRoberts, Boozer is now on the wrong side of 30 and age has taken a toll on his game. The past three seasons have seen a downward trend in Boozer's field goal percentage—a statistic in which he routinely ranked among the leaders of the league in his prime—and his mid-range jumper which was lethal back in his heyday with the Jazz has begun to fail him.

Despite his recent struggles, it is likely that Boozer still has a couple of seasons averaging near double-doubles in him. But the 32-year old's role on a dysfunctional and rebuilding Lakers team remains unclear. With first round pick Julius Randle also competing for minutes up front, it's quite possible that Boozer will begin the season in the starting five, only to be relegated to the bench as the season progresses so that Randle can flourish.

Since new head coach Byron Scott is emphasizing defense and conditioning in Los Angeles, Boozer is using training camp—which began Monday—to work on the lesser aspects of his game before the season starts.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Rookies Parker and Hood, Blue Devil veterans look to adjust to new surroundings” on social media.