Duke football midseason report: Special teams

With the Blue Devils preparing for their next Coastal Division test at Pittsburgh Nov. 1, we break down how Duke's special teams unit has performed this season and keys going forward. This week, The Blue Zone has given a breakdown of the Blue Devils' offense, defense and now special teams as they head down the stretch of the regular season.

Three key stats:

26.2: The kickoff return unit averages 26.2 yards per return, good for second in the ACC. With safety DeVon Edwards and running back Shaquille Powell usually back deep on returns, the Blue Devils have a field position advantage when their returners get a chance and opposing kickers aren't able to boot kicks deep into the end zone for touchbacks. Duke's kickoff return unit was one of the keys to last season's magical run to the ACC championship game, and could provide more big plays if given the opportunity.

100%: Kicker Ross Martin is 10-of-10 on field goals this year and boasts the best field goal percentage in the ACC. He has also made 29 extra points without a miss on the year. The junior became Duke's all-time leading scorer earlier this season and gives head coach David Cutcliffe a reliable option when the Blue Devils bog done in or near the red zone.

44.4: Punter Will Monday averages 44.4 yards per punt, good for third in the ACC. The field position game has been crucial for the Blue Devils so far this season, and could continue to be huge, especially with the explosive offenses of Pittsburgh and North Carolina remaining on the schedule. Monday's strong punting and Duke's punt coverage unit have helped mask some of the inconsistencies of quarterback Anthony Boone and the offense.

Three key players:

Jamison Crowder, punt returner: A weapon all over the field on offense, the Monroe, N.C., native has been the spark plug that the Duke offense has sometimes needed in terms of field position throughout his career. Although there have been no punt return touchdowns yet this season, Crowder's 6.1 yards per punt return average has also been a solid contribution to Duke's field position battle. The senior is a highlight reel waiting to happen, and could break off a big return very soon.

Ross Martin, kicker: The junior from Solon, Ohio, already has 59 points scored in only seven games this season. He is also 2-of-2 on field goals from more than 40 yards. Very few teams around the country have a weapon like Martin that can be called upon as an almost automatic kicker when the offense bogs down, and his contributions definitely don't go unnoticed by his teammates and the coaching staff.

DeVon Edwards, kickoff returner: Edwards, who Cutcliffe often describes as the fastest player on the team, is usually back deep for the Blue Devils on kickoff returns. The redshirt sophomore, with a long return of 61 yards and an average of 25.6 yards per kickoff return, has provided needed explosiveness on kickoff returns this season and like Crowder is a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball.

Biggest surprise:

Accuracy of Ross Martin: Although he has always been very accurate throughout his career, Martin has been otherworldly this season; he has not missed a field goal or an extra point through seven games. If Martin continues his torrid pace and gets enough opportunities in the team's last five games, he could set ACC singe-season records. He is one of only six kickers in the country who is perfect on field goals at this point in the season and could have a chance to decide some vital ACC contests with his leg in the coming weeks.

Biggest disappointment:

No return touchdowns : The return game has been on the biggest disappointments of the season. Although it has provided an explosive return every once and awhile, the game-changing returns and momentum shifts have been lacking. A lot of this probably has to do with the attention Crowder and Edwards now receive in opposing scouting reports, but the duo still would have been expected to break a few long returns by this point in the season. Especially when the Blue Devils face adversity in their final five games, the duo's ability to produce points before the offense takes the field could be huge.

Key for the last five games: Duke's special teams unit needs to keep doing what it has been doing. The Blue Devils need to continue the great kicking and punting that Monday and Martin have provided, and need to keep getting solid coverage from the coverage units. Duke's return specialists are likely licking their chops for the final five games of the season, so watch out for electrifying returns and maybe look for special teams coordinator Zac Roper to incorporate some trickery on special teams after the bye week. The Blue Devils have cleaned up their early-season kick coverage struggles, but still need to make sure they stay disciplined in that area.

Overall grade:

A-: Much like the defense, the special teams unit hasn't been perfect all the time, but has stepped up when the Blue Devils have needed a boost. When the offense has struggled, Monday and Martin have bailed the unit out with outstanding jobs in the kicking game, and Duke has rarely had the special teams miscues that other teams across the country have to frequently endure. Aside from allowing a few big kickoff returns early in the year and not breaking off huge returns from touchdowns, the special teams unit has been spot on.

Share and discuss “Duke football midseason report: Special teams” on social media.