Duke football midseason report: Defense

With the Blue Devils preparing for their next Coastal Division test at Pittsburgh Nov. 1, we break down how Duke's defense has performed this season and keys going forward. This week, The Blue Zone will break down all three phases of the game, so check back tomorrow for the update on the Blue Devil special teams unit.

Three key stats:

1.6: The Blue Devils have had a tough time generating a pass rush so far this season. Only generating 1.6 sacks per game, the defensive line is not getting to the quarterback like it should be. Injuries and inconsistency have plague the group that has had to rely on Duke's linebackers and secondary for support near the line of scrimmage. One issue is that most ACC offensive lines outweigh the Blue Devil front four, which only averages 268 pounds and is undersized for a college defensive line. Duke will likely have to generate more pressure on opposing quarterbacks in the latter half of the season to clinch another division title.

18: In the last two weeks alone, the Blue Devils have given up 18 plays of 10 yards or more. The explosive plays have been at pivotal moments in games against Georgia Tech and Virginia. Opposing runners are frequently able to gash Duke's defense until they enter the red zone against defensive coordinator's Jim Knowles' 4-2-5 scheme.But the only number that Knowles and his defenders care about is 15.1. Although they have surrendered chunks of yardage and give 398.0 yards per game, the Blue Devils have held their opponents to less than 25 points in every game this season and only surrender 15.1 points per contest.

204.6: The Blue Devils have held opponents to only 204.6 passing yards per game, the second-best mark in the ACC.Led by redshirt junior Jeremy Cash and redshirt sophomore DeVon Edwards, the secondary has kept Duke in games when the offense was inconsistent. From his strike safety position, Cash is second in the ACC in tackles (51) and tackles per game (10.2), and Edwards, safety Deondre Singleton and cornerbacks Breon Borders and Bryon Fields have made life very difficult for opposing receivers.

Three key players:

David Helton: The undisputed heart and soul of the Blue Devil defense, Helton has been a stud all season. He leads the ACC in tackles (69) and has 1.5 tackles for loss with one sack. The Chattanooga, Tenn., native is getting noticed nationally for his hard-nosed style and playmaking ability. He will look to improve the run defense in the second half of the season, but has seamlessly taken over Kelby Brown's vacated Mike linebacker position and keeps the unit on the same page.

Jeremy Cash: A leader in the secondary, opposing receivers and running backs cringe when they see Cash running across the middle. With two interceptions, five tackles for loss, three forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and 1.5 sacks, Cash has been everywhere this season. The junior from Miami also has ten pass break-ups and leads the way for the "Cheetahs" that give opposing offenses headaches.

DeVon Edwards: The speedy native of Covington, Ga., has played ball-hawk to compliment Cash’s aggressive, enforcing style all season at safety. He leads the team with 15 pass breakups and is third on the team in tackles with 62. He was the first Duke player earlier this season to force two fumbles in a game since 2011.

Three key moments:

Duke vs. Georgia Tech, Oct. 11: After a 75-minute delay due to lightning, the Yellow Jackets were driving when defensive tackle Jamal Bruce hit Yellow Jackets running back Zach Laskey in the backfield and forced this fumble. Cash pounced on it and the Blue Devils drove 46 yards in nine plays and Josh Snead punched it in from four yards out. This put Duke up 21-12 early in the second half and helped seal the biggest win of the Blue Devils' season so far.

Duke vs. Tulane, Sept. 20: Early in the second quarter, Helton destroyed Tulane quarterback Tanner Lee seven yards deep in the backfield, resulting in a fourth down. On the ensuing fourth-and-20 punt, the Blue Devil special teams unit blocked the punt and recovered it for a safety. This put Duke up 16-7 and helped kick-start the 47-13 blowout.

Duke vs. Kansas, Sept. 13: Duke opened the game against the Jayhawks with a 13-yard sack on the first play of the game, initiating a quick three-and-out and setting the tone for the 41–3 rout. The win gave them confidence going forward into their nonconference slate.

Biggest surprise:

Breon Borders: The sophomore from Statesville, N.C., has been a pleasant surprise for the Blue Devils this season. After seeing lots of time on the field in various packages as a freshman, he stepped in at cornerback for the departed Ross Cockrell, an All-American who was picked in the fourth round by the Buffalo Bills in last spring’s NFL draft. Borders has stepped up of late, with 21 total tackles and four passes broken up, and was one of the catalysts in Saturday's 20-13 Homecoming win against Virginia.

Biggest disappointment (player or general):

Defensive front four: The aforementioned pass rush, which has only generated 11 sacks through seven games, has put a lot of pressure on Duke's secondary. So far the Blue Devils have been up to the challenge, but against better competition seniors Jordan Dewalt-Ondijo and Jamal Bruce need to lead a unit that has to step it up if the Blue Devils want to repeat as ACC Coastal Division champions.

Key for the last five games:

The Blue Devils need to work on stopping the run, both in terms of plugging the hole as well as limiting breakdowns that lead to big plays. In Duke's only loss of the season at Miami, running back Duke Johnson ran it 25 times for 155 yards and a touchdown. The Hurricanes' success on the ground set up their play action passing game and they were able to generate big passing plays, something the defense will have to be weary of as the season continues. Running games can determine outcomes of close battles late in the season, so the Blue Devils will have to tighten up the unit as the latter half of the season commences.

Overall grade: A/A-

Duke’s defense has kept the Blue Devils in close games when redshirt senior quarterback Anthony Boone and the offense have not been operating well. The unit has made plays in the back end and proven to be one of the ACCs most exciting defenses to watch because of its knack for forcing turnovers and making plays in the red zone. Although Duke surrenders chunks of yards, it gets it done when it needs to come up with a stop and keep points off the scoreboard, the ultimate defining characteristic of a great defense.

Share and discuss “Duke football midseason report: Defense” on social media.