Making The Grade: Duke football vs. Miami

Plagued by turnovers and offensive errors, the Blue Devils struggled to keep pace with an energized Miami team. Duke never led in their loss to the Hurricanes 22-10 at Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla., Saturday and will have to improve its offensive efficiency during the upcoming bye week if it wants to compete again for the Coastal Division crown.

Offense: D

Pass: Redshirt senior quarterback Anthony Boone struggled mightily from the pocket Saturday and was under heavy duress for much of the game, completing only 22 of his 51 passing attempts. Boone’s inability to connect with receivers led to a paltry 179 passing yards—his third straight game with less than 200 yards through the air—and frequent mishaps led to two Miami interceptions.

The untimely turnovers and abysmal 2-of-16 third down conversion rate sapped momentum from an already anemic offense, keeping Duke off the scoreboard and eventually sealing the team’s fate. True freshman running back Shaun Wilson was the team's best receiver against an athletic Miami defense, which does not bode well going forward, and redshirt senior Issac Blakeney was quiet for the second straight game.

The 6-foot-6 speedster had only three catches for 14 yards opposite Jamison Crowder, and coughed up the ball early in the second half to set up the Hurricanes' second touchdown. The Blue Devils leave Miami with the potency of their offense in question, and an inability to move the football through the air marks a major reason for their low offensive grade.

Rush: Duke’s one offensive highlight came early in the second quarter when junior Shaquille Powell capped off a 73-yard drive with a seven yard run up the middle. Powell carried the ball for four of the five plays of that drive, racking up 44 yards in what was the Blue Devils' best drive of the game. However, Duke was never able to replicate the same offensive rhythm, and from that point onward the Blue Devil rushing attack was stone cold, finishing with just 115 yards on 25 carries.

Considering Nebraska gashed the Hurricanes for 343 yards on the ground last week, Duke's offensive line should be disappointed with its effort against Miami. But the Hurricanes were able to key on the Blue Devil running game because of Boone's inability to connect with his wide receivers down the field.

X’s & O’s: Failing to find a way past the Miami defense, Duke saw its offensive strategy largely determined by what Miami allowed. Repeated attempts to change the momentum of the game with long passes proved largely unsuccessful, and departed offensive coordinator Kurt Roper's absence was really felt for the first time this season. Miscues between Boone and redshirt junior center Matt Skura resulted in four dropped snaps and more than 25 lost yards, just one of the many indications of how out of sync Scottie Montgomery's unit looked in its first ACC game.

Defense: B

Pass: Led by redshirt junior and returning second team All-American safety Jeremy Cash, the Blue Devil secondary was able to limit Miami true freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya after the West Hills, Calif. native started the game 11-of-12. As usual, Duke committed two deep safeties to take away the big play, and for the most part the strategy worked. But once the depleted Blue Devil defensive line got worn out and stopped getting pressure, Duke's back line began to break.

On a huge fourth-and-19 in the third quarter, Kaaya was able to find Herb Waters in the corner of the end zone for a 28-yard score, and in the fourth quarter freshman running back Joe Yearby got behind the Blue Devil defense, leading to a 47-yard passing touchdown that essentially put the game away. Duke's secondary did its part—including Cash forcing two fumbles—but was not able to make enough plays to lead the team to victory.

Rush: The Blue Devils struggled to control Miami's All-ACC running back Duke Johnson, who averaged 6.2 yards per carry and ran for 155 yards, including a seven-yard touchdown dash. Yearby added nine carries for 61 yards, taking advantage of the good push provided by the Hurricane offensive line. The Blue Devils allowed 223 yards on the ground—which is only slightly more than their average for the past two seasons—and will need to improve their run defense before taking on Georgia Tech and Paul Johnson's triple option attack.

X’s and O’s: Despite allowing a few big plays and yards on the ground, Duke’s defense was successful in that it found ways to keep the Blue Devils in the game drive after drive. Forcing two fumbles and holding Miami to a paltry 2-of-13 conversion rate on third down, Jim Knowles' unit adjusted after a slow start and gave the offense plenty of chances to change the momentum of the game.

Special Teams: A

With the Blue Devils punting on nine occasions, redshirt junior punter Will Monday gave Duke a boost on special teams, posting 49.2 average yards per punt and frequently changing field position after ineffective Blue Devil possessions. Kicker Ross Martin—the Blue Devils' all-time leading scorer—sunk a 33-yard field goal late in the third quarter in what would be Duke’s final scoring play. The Blue Devils special teams highlight of the night came when defensive tackle Carlos Wray blocked a Miami extra point. As has become customary, Duke's special teams were a bright spot and helped negate several offensive miscues.

Share and discuss “Making The Grade: Duke football vs. Miami” on social media.