Hands-free entry comes to Blue Zone

New card readers will allow drivers more efficient access to campus parking lots.

Driving into the Blue Zone just got a little easier.

Tuesday morning, Duke Parking and Transportation launched a hands-free access system for the parking lot. Instead of swiping a DukeCard or parking pass to enter or exit, the new system can detect from a distance the embedded microchip that hangs from a tag on the car’s rearview mirror. Duke began introducing the system in various parking lots across campus in February and will continue to phase in the system over the school year.

"Generally, user responses have been positive," Melissa Harden, interim director of parking and transportation, wrote in an email Tuesday.

Duke has adopted the system not just to increase convenience but also to obtain more precise data on parking, Harden said. The new system—which uses technology known as radio frequency identification detection—can provide real-time information, which will allow the University to better track parking usage and behaviors.

After the system's first day in use in the Blue Zone, students said they appreciate the new convenience.

“It’s nice when you’re driving up to not have to worry about leaning out the window or making sure that you’re close enough to swipe your card,” sophomore Mary Lee said.

The 2014-15 permits for Blue Zone, Blue Commuter and Blue Carpool drivers came with the appropriate microchips embedded. Drivers can still swipe their passes for lot access if they so choose.

The system has been implemented in 17 campus lots so far, including the Science Drive and Edens lots. Later this month, it will be installed in the Grounds lot behind Wallace Wade Stadium and in Parking Garage III.

By August 2015, the system will be in place in 37 lots and garages across campus and the Health Center. Ultimately, Parking and Transportation hopes RFID will allow for better lot management, Harden said.

The new system requires everyone who parks in these lots to have a valid, individual permit. Similar parking systems have been put in place in other universities, including Harvard University, University of Wisconsin and Texas A&M University.

Share and discuss “Hands-free entry comes to Blue Zone” on social media.