SPORTS  |  GOLF

Duke women's golfer Boutier excels at Evian Championship

Junior Celine Boutier used a strong showing in the final round of the Evian Championship to make up for a shaky third round and finish tied for 29th.

Celine Boutier was playing in yet another international amateur event representing her home country of France in Japan at the Women’s World Amateur Team Championship Sept. 3-6 when she got a special phone call—an invitation to the LPGA’s final major of the season.

The junior—who had already competed in the Women’s U.S. Open, the Women’s U.S. Amateur, the European Ladies’ Amateur Championship and the European Ladies ‘Amateur Team Championship earlier in the summer—accepted and immediately changed her travel plans, heading back home to France for the Evian Championship Sept. 11-14 rather than returning to Durham for Duke’s season opener.

“It was really unexpected,” Boutier said. “I was really happy about it because I’ve always dreamed of playing it. It’s like playing the U.S. Open for an American. So it was really meaningful for me and I was honored that they picked me.”

The quick turn of events worked out well.

Boutier—one of just four amateurs invited to compete—easily made the cut at the Evian Masters Golf Club in Evian-les-Bains, France, and birdied her last three holes Sunday to finish tied for 29th, her best finish in a major to date. The reigning National Player of the Year made the cut at last year’s Ricoh Women’s British Open, but only finished tied for 56th.

Boutier’s best performance on the world’s biggest stages coincided with an increased comfort level for the 20-year-old.

Her family stayed with her throughout the weekend and Boutier’s younger brother, Kevin, helped her to navigate the course, carrying his sister’s bag and helping to relax the decorated amateur.

“Both of my parents and my brother were cheering for me so I mean, I wasn’t really nervous or anything,” she said. “I felt like I managed to keep calm the whole week and play my game, which was really nice.”

Boutier was also able to enjoy a unique opportunity to play some holes during a practice round with two-time major winner Suzann Pettersen, the defending champion at the event.

“I was playing the practice round with France and then Suzann Pettersen came out on the No. 6 and asked if she could join and play,” Boutier said. “That was really nice and I was actually very impressed because she won the Evian Championship. She’s in the top five and she’s always been one of the best players on tour, so I was really impressed and that was a nice way to start off the week.”

Blue Devil head coach Dan Brooks has said multiple times that the most valuable aspect of playing in highly-competitive professional events for amateurs is being able to observe how the pros conduct themselves on the course; Boutier got the unique opportunity to learn more from one of the best before the tournament had even started.

After opening the tournament with solid rounds of even-par 71 and one-over-par 72 to make the cut comfortably by five strokes—despite a disappointing double bogey on her 36th hole—Boutier struggled during the third round, firing a five-over-par to drop down the leaderboard into a tie for 53rd.

“I was really frustrated by the third round,” Boutier said. “I didn’t manage to play my game and I was really frustrated by that because I didn’t play as well as I wanted to, so I was really motivated to play well in the final round and finish with a very nice score.”

But Duke’s most valuable player last year bounced back, playing her first 15 holes in the final round at even par before making birdies on the three tough finishing holes to end her whirlwind offseason of international competition with a bang.

“I felt like my game was in place. Throughout the round, I felt like my game was getting better and better,” Boutier said. “My putting was amazing. I hit a lot of putts for par. And I finished with three birdies in a row.”

Boutier returned to campus Monday evening, at which time her teammates were preparing for Tuesday’s final round of the Cougar Classic at the Yeamans Hall Club in Hanahan, S.C. Duke is currently tied for fifth, seven strokes behind 36-hole leader Arkansas.

Boutier will make her season debut Sept. 28-30 at the Annika Intercollegiate in Orlando, when she hopes the main lessons from her busy summer will pay off for her and her teammates.

“I’m very excited to start the season,” Boutier said. “I was very sad about missing the first tournament of the year but I think they’re doing pretty well right now, so I’m excited to start my first tournament next week. I hope that we’re going to have a great year.”

Share and discuss “Duke women's golfer Boutier excels at Evian Championship” on social media.