Freshmen soundoff on move-in day

The class of 2018 moved onto East Campus on Tuesday. With the help of the First-Year Advisory Counselors, more than 1,700 freshmen settled into 14 different dorms. Here's what the new members of the Duke community had to say about the start of their Orientation Week and their expectations for a four-year-long academic career at Duke.

“I’m just really excited to start my freshman year. I feel like I’ve been waiting all summer to get here, and I’m just really excited to start now." —freshman Alice Silberstein

“I’m feeling very overwhelmed, but excited to meet everybody and get into clubs and everything, and just start becoming part of the family.” —freshman Dara Buggay

"I’m super excited. I came from the pre-orientation program PWaves. Coming in on move-in day was a little stressful, but so exciting to be here, set up the room and meeting my roommate for the first time. The room seems awesome." —freshman Maddy Price

"I’m really excited to be here. I waited an hour to get in, it was the longest hour of my life. I’m looking forward to track and the barbecue. I’m very ready for the barbecue right now." —freshman Madison Heath

"I’m beyond excited. Even though the car ride was long, it was totally worth it." —freshman Gabrielle Stewart

“I’m an international student, so I had my move-in three or four days ago. I was feeling really excited. It was great. I love it here, I love Blackwell and I love the University." —freshman Nuray Orujova

“I’m excited, nervous, but can’t wait to see what the future holds.” —freshman Kevin Bao

“I’m pretty scared, but I’m kind of excited as well. I haven’t met anyone yet, and they didn’t assign me a roommate.” —freshman Derek Shu

"I look forward to meeting everyone, and I am really excited." —freshman Samantha Holmes

“I’m very excited to be at Duke. It’s been a dream of mine, and in particular I’m excited that there are so many new people to meet, because my high school was pretty small. So I’m looking forward to branching out and meeting people through activities, clubs and various places.” —freshman Lauren Perry-Carrera

"I’m really excited to meet everybody and kind of experience a different area from Boston. Duke seems really cool, and my classes seem interesting," —freshman Sarah Rapaport

“I’m really looking forward to getting to know everybody in our hall, and I’m looking forward to starting classes.” —freshman Larissa Cox

“I was definitely surprised by the transition from going so slow in the car line and just the second I got here, all the FACs moving everything you have into your room within a minute. It was awesome. My dad was saying that he went to UVA, but didn’t get the same welcoming vibe that he got here. I went to a boarding school, and this is very new. I definitely feel welcomed.” —freshman Peter Ahl

Share and discuss “Freshmen soundoff on move-in day” on social media.